Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gearing-up for a sweet trap-out

I know there are thousands of ways to skin a cat.

Here's my idea for the following trap-out which I will probably begin tomorrow (Mon, 6-17-13)

Please feel free - everyone - to chime-in with your ideas as well, by the way.

I plan on using black trash bags and duct-tape them around the sides underneath the unit.

I then plan on using self-tappers through the top of the wooden base of my trap-cone into the a/c unit. (The a/c unit is no longer functional)

I will then shore-up the area underneath the unit and and beside the trap-cone with more black trash bags/duct tape.

Here's my plan using Microsoft Paint:

http://s565.photobucket.com/user/Lak...f0aac.mp4.html

Default Re: Gearing-up for a sweet trap-out

Looks like a plan to me. Good luck.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Looks like a plan to me. Good luck.

cchoganjr
    Cleo,

Thanks for the encouragement and approval.

Coming from you makes me feel better about the plan.

Several questions:

Since they have sprayed it on several occasions, I have no use for the comb/honey inside, nor does the homeowner want me smashing the cinder block to get to any of the contents. Since they have sprayed the hive, I'm assuming it would NOT be a good idea to allow the NEW hive-of-bees to rob-out the old hive once it's all done? And since it's cinder block, I would assume that any contents left behind will be not too much of a nuisance if the opening is sealed good?

Also, regarding the queen:

I have one active hive, but I don't feel comfortable robbing any brood comb/eggs/larvae from it since it's its first year in that hive. I'm not 100% confident in its strength yet. Also, the trap-out I did once before, the queen DID emerge and she began laying, the hive lived happily-ever-after. I'm not sure if I want to gamble on the queen coming out of this one also since I know that's a risky proposition.

So - - is it feasible to buy a $20.00 queen here locally and plop her in there with a queen cage/fondant soon after all the fun begins? How soon would be the best time to introduce a queen if I went that route?

Take pics and plan on the hive to be there a month or so. You could even take splits from the hive every now and then and add to your existing hive.

How much are you charging for this job? How many hours, equipment/material dollars and travel expense are you spending on these pesticided bees? I would not spend five minutes on this project unless I was earning about $50 an hour plus expenses and profit to do it. You can buy that $20 queen and divide one of your hives, and have a new hives in less than an hour.

odfrank, you bring up some good questions.

I have some answers, although some of them may not be satisfactory.

it's an older lady who doesn't have a lot of money, so I'm only charging her fifty bucks.

Also, I'm doing this more for the learning experience and fun of it. I think doing this is a blast.

She lives in the same town as me, so the travel isn't really a factor.

Plus, maybe I can get a word-of-mouth deal started around here, and THEN start hammering them fur the big bucks.

Those are all satisfactory answers if they make sense to you. You know the value of your time better than anybody else. We all sometimes do things for esoteric and indirect reasons. Most old ladies where I live have more money than me and I believe in procuring bees with the minimum outlay of time and expense.

Go for it Pat! I, oddly enough, am in the process of two trap outs both of which are free of charge. Both of which are from trees. One is over 20 minutes away from home. One has produced an extra 30k of bees for me and the other has produced a new colony 10 - 15k (I'm guessing) with a queen.
    The way I look at it, some people do deserve a helping hand every now and then.
    Payment for these are the smiles and the final "thank you I didn't have no one else that would help me".
    I believe it will come around sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Go for it Pat! I, oddly enough, am in the process of two trap outs both of which are free of charge.
    Mr. Beeman. I too have two trap outs going, and both free,, and I don't really have the time to fool with them, but, in both cases they were going to spray the bees, because they could not cut the trees. I did not want to see them killed, so I agreed to set a trap on them, to get a couple good starts from each, then eliminate what is left.

I tried my best to explain that the bees in their neighborhood was beneficial to everyone, and why not just leave them alone. The tree is in Amish country, right on the side of the road, and they are afraid the bees may spook their horses as they pass by. I don't think so, but, they were going to kill them. So, I will trap out 4 colonies then let them do whatever they want to do. Save as many as I can.

I am basically with odfrank on trapouts. I had virtually quit doing them because of travel time, price of gas, and other things to do, but, I can still remember when they were lots of fun, and to learn from them. Thirty years ago I would have driven 50 miles to do a good trapout. Now days, I pass on every one of them, unless they are going to kill them, and I can't find anyone to do a trapout.

cchoganjr

Here are three photos from today.

The video will follow.

It seemed to go well.

But , as you all know, only time will tell from here on out.

VIDEO :

Pat, I would place the hive much closer to the left side of the ac unit where the bees are clustering.

Bee Man,

Do you mean as far as height or where the entrance is?

Yeah, it's a challenge to find things stable enough for height.

I'll see what I can cook up. I'm also thinking about throwing a queen in there too, but I'll have to buy it here locally. I don't have any queens laying around just yet.

Thanks.

PatBeek... I believe I would move the catch hive such that the entrance is directly under the funnel, and if at all possible, much closer to the funnel, in other words higher.

The bees will eventually find it, but why make them work at it.

cchoganjr

what about building a shelf with a bracket that hangs over the ac unit?

Red= 2x4's Purple 12-14 in shelf brackets Green Shelf platform to set hive on

You people are killing me.....the time spent on catching a few worker bees....aaaarrrggggghhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    You people are killing me.....the time spent on catching a few worker bees....aaaarrrggggghhhhh!
    LOL,

The lone hive I have right now was from a similar trap-out I did back in September where the queen came out too.

And the hive was really about the same distance it is now from the cone.

But that's not to say I shouldn't move this one closer. I just may do it.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    what about building a shelf with a bracket that hangs over the ac unit?

Red= 2x4's Purple 12-14 in shelf brackets Green Shelf platform to set hive on

I love the idea, but it may be overkill at this point.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I started with a nuc and a package this yr in late april and now have 7 hives with the last one about ready for it's 3rd box because of agumenting with trapout bees. i had a spit I started in may with 3 med frames and a queen cell fill an entire box with brood and already a box of honey on top from piddlin with a " few worker bees" Besides, I think it sounds like he's doing it more for the old lady than himself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast