Thread: Bumbles

Default Bumbles

So this is interesting. Several weeks ago I saw a bumle land on a leaf and it was watching the girls fly out of the hive. All at once it took off like a shot and caught one of my bees in mid flight as it exited the hive! Now I have watched my bees and small bumbles working the same flowers with no problems. Today I watched another bumble grab a be in flight and land on this leaf. These are not eh regualr bumbles, these are at leaste 3\4 " long. A BIG bumble. I do not know much about bumbles but the queens are big and they do fly around. Has anyone seen this behavior? I found it interesting. Thanks.

Larry

Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Bumbles

Ive only seen it with what I call Japanese Hornets. I have Bumblebees around, and occasionally see one hovering near the hive entrance and leave. Seen the gaurds roll yellow jackets, robbers, and wasps that landed on the entrance. Never saw a bumble try it. But your description is exactly how the Hornets did it. Good luck. G

The bumbles are not actually going near the hive entrance. They take off after the bees leaving the hive and grab them mid air. I am not worried too much as there are only a very few bumbles and I do not even see them every day.

What did it do after it landed on the leaf with the bee?
    No one famous.

Seems the Japanese hornets take them to a tree and decapitate them, to feed their young from what I gather. G

It appears to be sucking the juice out of them. It is kind of hard to say tho.

It's most likely a bumble bee mimic (bee hunter, fly). They eat honey bees, but not enough to be a threat to your hive.

Interesting MJC, thanks for sharing. G