Default All kinds of swarms here in Iowa

well two weeks or so a swarm moved in an extra bod I had setting around and is now have all 10 frames in that deep half filled with comb and now today another just moved in 10 feet away in another empty box with foundation frames. and all this is in town not in the woods like I would would half expect. A friend who lives outside of town the only swarms he catches is the ones from his own hives,
    Rick Kumer

Default Re: All kinds of swarms here in Iowa

Older homes, older trees in towns or cities which means more places for feral hives. More swarm action!
    Lucky dog.

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good!

Have another batch of scouts sniffing around a box on the porch
    Rick Kumer

Haven't seen any swarms up here but I am quite a ways north around the Gowrie area. I did a couple splits and that kind of curbs the impulse on my hives, there is a guy about a mile from me that does nothing but put the bees in the box and stand back and watch - I am always wondering if he ever looses any to swarming, as he only has 2 hives it is kinda a small chance of them happening into my yard and finding an empty box - I leave an empty box with some old brood comb on top of a building about 500 feet or so from my hives, just hoping that if any swarm they might find the box and move in. Plenty of bees sniffing around it but never had any move in.