Default a sight to behold.... 40 feet up in a tree

My husband called me outside, "Bees are everywhere! I think they're swarming!" Sure enough, I got outside and a huge mass of bees like a tornado was swirling in our backyard, 40 feet up by the pine trees. I'd never seen such a thing! I am a 3rd year beekeeper - first year they swarmed but I wasn't here, and this year, just 3 weeks ago, I got to pick up someone else's swarm (after the fact).

They ended up settling on a pine branch WAY up there, and we set up a bait trap for them. I decided to see which of my 3 hives swarmed - #1, the nuc I got this year, that must have gotten overcrowded... http://www.beesource.com/forums/imag...lies/frown.gif

After an hour or so, we thought, there's nothing really to lose, why not shoot the branch with a pellet gun, so see if we could shake them off.... after a few tries, my husband got a really good shot, and half the bees fell out of the tree! I was standing there with my bee suit on, waiting JUST in case with a nuc box ready... But no, we stirred them all up, and the tornado took off high over the neighborhood, and we lost them over the tree line.... of course, no one wants their own bees to leave, but I have to say, it was the most glorious thing I've seen in a good while!http://www.beesource.com/forums/imag.../thumbs_up.gif

Default Re: a sight to behold.... 40 feet up in a tree

Unless you see it for yourself a words can only start to tell how you feel seeing a swarm. I have been lucky this year to see three, two went into my bait traps and one flew past my window. Im to old to run, but I moved as fast as I could and tried to follow them.
    Lost em. ;(

MiddleofMae. If this happens again, place a 10 framer on a white sheet under the tree, then using a water hose with nozzle, if that will reach the bees, if not, find a pressure washer. Spray as gently as you can onto the bees by spraying near the cluster and letting the edge of the strean wet the swarm cluster. When you think the cluster is wetted, direct the water spray into the cluster and let the cluster fall onto your sheet. The bees will be wet and not able to fly for a few minutes. Scoop up as many handfulls of bees as you can, place them inside the box, and most often the other bees will march right into your hive. Leave for a day or so, then move to where you want them.

cchoganjr

Cleo, thanks for the advice! I will definitely try that next time! And maybe invest in a longer hose. (: