Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drought vs Almonds

It may not be a shortage of bees that does in almonds.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/cal...illain-n353836
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Default Re: Drought vs Almonds

Unfortunate this is a problem that no one will address in California or at a federal level. They have been out of water for years. It's sad for many. But as long as people can buy almonds they will be needed.

Don't believe the hype 100%

4000 acres planted within 5 miles of my place this winter......... The way I look at it there's a major shortage of skilled help to run another 10,000 hives....

Two or three offers a week for our place. More calls from realtors than package buyers.

600 acre places selling for 30k for dirt only..... Thats per acre.

At those prices they will find water..... And bees.

EL Loco

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Don't believe the hype 100%

4000 acres planted within 5 miles of my place this winter......... The way I look at it there's a major shortage of skilled help to run another 10,000 hives....

Two or three offers a week for our place. More calls from realtors than package buyers.

600 acre places selling for 30k for dirt only..... Thats per acre.

At those prices they will find water..... And bees.

EL Loco
    But it's got to be a bubble, right? The latecomers are buying and planting on the lure of past pay outs, even in the face of grim future prognosis. Feels like there is a crash coming....don't know exactly what it will look like.

That's what they said about grapes here in Cali to.vineyards are still getting planted.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan MacLeod View Post
    But it's got to be a bubble, right?
    It has that feel to it yet.....several decades ago I spent a few weeks in CA and looked at the real estate ads in various newspapers....and couldn't believe that such outrageous prices could continue for very long. Yet here we are....as I said.....decades later and the prices are higher than ever. I wouldn't bet my future on them continuing to find enough water.....but I wouldn't bet against it either.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by johnwratcliff View Post
    Unfortunate this is a problem that no one will address in California or at a federal level.
    What is the solution?

It's one of those situations where economic growth and environmental concerns collide. My understanding is there is lots of water in Northern California but the Salmon runs and environmental laws take precedence. I would think at some point the water shortage is going to reach critical mass and that is when things will get really interesting.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

There could be a bubble, but the drought may cut supply somewhat, which always increases demand which is why acreage will increase around 3% in the next couple years, even with the drought. Lot of guys moving up from the south since our water is a little more stable as well. I have no sympathy for the trees in the desert drying up, they were told no permanent crops a long time ago, but hey, with this market, I guess it was worth the risk during the good years.

Jim,

I won't argue about fish vs. people aspect, but no matter what, the fish always get the short end of the stick anyways when you look at the data. They never hold enough water for them, but you don't destroy entire ecosystems so you can water some trees for export commodities that were planted in functional deserts. I don't see preserving natural habitat over the needs of greed and people as being extremist which people seem to be labelling conservation as these days. If it was all about getting water to the people, perhaps I would change my opinion, but when the water districts are making hundreds of millions on it, it kind of sours the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Jim,

I won't argue about fish vs. people aspect, but no matter what, the fish always get the short end of the stick anyways when you look at the data. They never hold enough water for them, but you don't destroy entire ecosystems so you can water some trees for export commodities that were planted in functional deserts. I don't see preserving natural habitat over the needs of greed and people as being extremist which people seem to be labelling conservation as these days. If it was all about getting water to the people, perhaps I would change my opinion, but when the water districts are making hundreds of millions on it, it kind of sours the whole thing.
    I'm not saying I disagree, just sayin..........
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

It would be nice to have some more storage (reservoirs) here in Cali for both flood & drought control, whats going on now is just greed, water to the highest bidder.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    It would be nice to have some more storage (reservoirs) here in Cali for both flood & drought control, whats going on now is just greed, water to the highest bidder.

highest bidder? money or votes? I think there are some that want the state to turn.... humm? brown

http://nodeltagates.com/2013/07/10/c...-sign-removal/
    The story came to light when a farmer who was displaying “Stop the Tunnel” signs on his private property on Highway 160 called Restore the Delta to report the “theft”

California rain goes in cycles, long ones. There's normally been less rain than at present. The last 400 years has seen the top of a cycle with much higher rainfall than normal, this may be coming to an end.

People still buying in at astronomical prices is typical short term behaviour of the human species, this behaviour is the cause of the boom and bust cycles we have in banking, property, or any artificially engineered human construct.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Jim View Post
    highest bidder? I think there are some that want the state to turn.... humm? brown ”
    Hey Jimmy.... Look out the window.... it's brown now.... soon to be black.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    California rain goes in cycles, long ones.
    Well said, OT

I keep wondering how long it will take you Kalifornians to realize that the Great Lakes arethe worlds largest fresh water system,and have 21 percent of the earth's fresh water, and want some of it. The first hole in the dyke is starting. The city of Waukesha, Wisconsin; very close to lake Michigan, but in the Mississippi watershed, has petitioned for access to lake water. If the flood gates open, how far would it flow?

Crazy Roland

w

Quote Originally Posted by dsegrest View Post
    Fish don't make campaign contributions.
    Its the fish they are "trying to save".........its the political excuse to keep the water flowing South. Fish are the Red Legged Frogs (political mascot for land rights) of the water rights.

Its funny how the government tries to use the excuse of saving the salmon to keep the water flowing down the Sacramento River just so it will end up heading south, through the proposed "So Cal Straws" or pipelines they want to install. Yet, the DFW was forced to kill millions of salmon smelt because there was no funding to raise them to fingerling size and then release them.

Gonna be a lot of strong arm politics being used as long as the liquid gold is in shortage. And it all starts with the media saying it takes 1 gallon of water to produce a nut.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Gee Phil, what's that old saying everything in Texas is big. Not.or the other one,if you pay them peanuts you get monkeys. Great posts.

Looks like the left side is winning again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast