Default Swarm landed in a vacant TBH Nuc

Just finished checking out a nuc in my backyard that had a bunch of scouts around it. I wasn't too impressed as I had seen that before. I went in the house to post a video of the scouts to show my Cousin. While the video was uploading on YouTube I go out to check a Top Bar in the backyard. Bees doing the typical afternoon orientation flights. Go back in the house and wife asks about the scouts. I told her that the scouting had calmed down (only saw a single bee on the way back in) but the boys and girls were orienting, which we like to watch. She goes to the window and screams "OH MY GOD! LOOK OUT THE WINDOW!" Tons and tons of bees moving into the nuc. Checked my other hive in the yard, but there were not coming from that box. Anyway we got to sit in the middle of a swarm with my wife and daughter. It was very, very cool! Cant wait to open her up in a few days to see how big it is. It seemed huge! So glad the moved into the TBH Nuc and not the lang that was sitting empty right next to it. Funny, as the nuc was empty, but the Lang had a single frame of comb in it.

Swarm moving into a Nuc

Default Re: Swarm landed in a vacant TBH Nuc

Yahoo !!!that is Such a thrill to hear! Congrats! You give us all hope!!!

Yes, it was nice to see. I have about 20 swarm traps out and about in different areas, far and wide. Before today I had only caught paper wasps and a hornets nest.

My wife said that next year I should just put the traps in the backyard. It will save all the time I spend checking on them!

Beekeeping is new to me, but just had something strange happen.... I think.

I just got permission to try to save a few bees from some old rotten and dirty bee boxes that have not had any care for over a year. The previous keeper past away. I looked them over a few weeks ago and found 4 hives, with activity in only 2 of them. I opened one of the dead hives.... It was dirty and nasty with lots of big black bugs living in it, but no bees. I started building new boxes in my spare time, to replace them, but went back to check on things about a week after my first visit. To my amazement, I saw activity at the dead hive that I had checked.... I went back out to place some new boxes, 10 days later and saw that the dirty nasty hive was going gang busters! What happened? Did a swarm of bees move in, clean it up and kick out the unwanted intruders?

Yip they sure did I too had swarm traps out all over and one landed in a tree branch 5 ft from my hive and it wasn't from my hive luckily I had an extra box I was out of town when all this took place so a feiend came over and he shook them in