Default Looks like I lost my Queen

Our TBH was going great until two weeks ago there looked like a big drop in the population by looking through the observation window. They had built 4 large combs and 1 smaller comb up to that point and brood was looking strong. It was starting to get warm in MA so I dropped the bottom board a little, but then it turn cold and wet so I raised it. I'm not sure if this is related but though worth a mention.

We've been looking from the outside and the population seem to bounce back strong, a lot more bees in the hive. It stopped raining and the sun came out in MA so I thought I would inspect and see if all is ok. Capped brood seems to have hatched which explains the population increase with some still to go, a few more drone cells...but no sight of the Queen and no sight of any eggs or larva. Also I saw 4-5 supercedure cells. Not very positive but at least the bees are organized. I tried finding the Queen but no luck, she's not marked but I've not had trouble in the past when I look hard enough.

The only highlight of the inspection was finding a bee hatching and watching her make a grand entrance.

I'd post pictures, but its seems to fail every time I try. Is there some trick to it on this forum?

Default Re: Looks like I lost my Queen

I can't post pictures either because; I Can get the pixels right -has to be 640 x 480 or less....I Can get the KB right-has to be less than 190 ..........BUT I cannot get the dpi right which the minimum for pics I take is always 96 and the website only accepts 72 or less......... I "think" I need to set my camera different, since I can't get the dpi small enough using Paint. I'm old and everything computer is a "trick" for me!

One solution to the pictures would be to post them elsewhere and then post a link to them here.

My guess is bee are either trying to superseded or had swarmed. If you are seeing queen cells they at least tried to raise a queen, though the timing usually works out so that nearly all the brood emergest except perhaps for some drone brood before the new queen is mated and begins laying. Rain and cold weather can delay the mating though. There is a chance there still is a virgin or queen that is not quite laying yet, but she would be unmarked and they tend to be very hard to find until they start laying. I'd check back in 5-7 days and if I didn't see eggs then, I'd introduce a new queen at that point.

I've used this utility from another forum I visit to resize pictures

http://www.trifive.com/photo-resizer...20Re-Sizer.zip

Regards, Robert

Sounds like you're a few weeks behind me; we're going through the same thing. Here's my thread on it. You may also find Michael Bush's "Bee Math" to be helpful when determining the timing of the sequence of events.

I use Photobucket to host my photos. Here's a post I made recently on how to use it:

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Yankee View Post
    If you have uploaded your photos to Photobucket, you need to hover your mouse pointer over the photo you wish to show us. A gear icon will appear in the right upper corner of the photo. Hover your pointer over it and you'll get a menu of options. Click the one that says Get Links. You'll get a new box called Share the photo with a number of options below. Click in the box under the one that says IMG codes. It should turn yellow and say "Copied." Then do a paste in the message you want the photo to appear in as I'm about to do:

The correct HTML code will be inserted to show your photo.

Hope this helps!
    Tom
    And I hope your colony's supersession goes well!

Regards,
    Tom

Ok figured out why I couldn't upload photos when I was able before. Under Forum Actions - General Settings, I changed the property Enhanced Attachment Uploading to off.

As for the bees, they seem very busy, very active. They have been eating sugar water like crazy, a whole jar in 24 hours.

I'll give them a few days apart from refilling the food to settle down and see what they do with the new Queen Cells. Worst case they're not successful and I have to find a new queen. I'm not going to panic, just let nature take it course. Honey is not the important thing, the whole experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom, yep that sounds like my hive. I'm going to stay out of it for two weeks and see what transpires, other than refilling the feeder.