Default Nubby wings and white abdomens

I was contacted by a beekeeper in California after he saw my craigs list add for bee removals. He wanted to know how the swarm situation was here in Reno. He said that he has seen very few swarms this year.

In addition he said that he as well as others in his area have had bees emerging with nubby wings and white abdomens and that they are being cast out of the hive.

I thought I woudl post this info here in case anyone knows what this is.

I suggested DWV for the wings and he replied that his mite load is very low. Made me wonder if whatever is harming his bees is also harming the mites. Could be he does not see a lot of mites becasue they are in brood cells also.

What I have never heard mentioned before was the symptom of white abdomens.

I will forward anything anyone has to suggest.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Default Re: Nubby wings and white abdomens

Depending on where he is in California, Could be Buckeye I have some Buckeye in my area and have seen some bees with the same symptoms in a couple of my hives. I am waiting to see if it continues or goes away when the Buckeye stops blooming.

Wow! So glad I found this. We have these tress all in our back yard. Some of my bees are very sick. :-/ White abdomens and moving very slow. I saw two bees dying on the bottom board.

Went back into the hive today and I realized we have gumball trees. Varroa and DWV I gave them a powder a powder sugar treatment, but I think we're beyond that. I give up. This is my first and last year beekeeping.