Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Have any of you heard of 'Ley Lines' that bees are supposedly attracted to?

I have no idea if this is true or not. I just would like to see if any of you have come across this information, and what do you think?

Bees and Ley Lines

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/leylines.html

Default Re: Have any of you heard of 'Ley Lines' that bees are supposedly attracted to?

Wow this makes sense. I have three oak logs in my back yard. There were three different hives in this tree. These logs have bees in them again.
    And I will be out witching for ley lines.

Default Re: Have any of you heard of 'Ley Lines' that bees are supposedly attracted to?

John Harding wrote a book about it titled An Holistic Way In Saving The "Honeybee"

It isn't long, only about 78 pages, but it's all (or mostly) about divining and the correlation with bees. He calls it the "Electromagnetic Geopathic Stress Curtain Lines". It was an interesting thought, which is why I bought the book. I shouldn't have though. The first half of the book is just ramblings, partly about bees (and rantings about how everyone is destroying them), partly about his divorce (seriously). He uses very large font in extremely odd places to do what I can only suspect is increase page numbers. In the end, he talks about the success that his hives do on "stress lines" but offers only guesses as to why it is. Under benefits of using his system, he just lists a number of "possible" benefits, including 2 or 3x honey yield, "possibly no feeding", "possibly [bees that are] easier to handle", and "very little or no varroa mites." In the end, he had little information to write a book about, but did anyway. He can't tell what his system is doing, what effect it has, or how successful it is. It would have been nice to read a more scholarly article or book about someone that actually tested the system, instead of just rambling on about what it is and how good the "possible" benefits are.

As far as the theory itself, the book turned me so off the topic, I wasn't interested in trying it myself. Perhaps others were more successful.

For what it's worth. Phil Chandler interviewed a lady who believes in this phenomenon. She's a little nutty, but just may be on to something. Who knows:

(Audio):

http://traffic.libsyn.com/biobees/Va...mInterview.mp3

Here's her website:

http://www.healingbees.org/

So, today's podcast is an interview I recorded in Denver, Colorado, last November with Valerie Solheim, who has some very interesting experiments running with bees.

This interview will be of particular interest to people who have considered the possiblility that there is more to hive location than just choosing a level piece of ground. Valerie suggests that we may need to take account of 'geopathic stress', as her findings suggest that the health of bees may be influenced by forces of which we currently have little knowledge.

I think there is still a lot of work to be done in testing her theories, and I hope some of you will be inspired to carry this forward. Valerie has just published a book about her work called The Beehive Effect, and you can read part of the first chapter at her web site - healingbees.org

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Moreover, the fact that divining (aka dowsing or water witching) is cited as the way to "detect" these ley lines should send everyone running. http://www.skepdic.com/dowsing.html
    http://youtu.be/gjC64cnxl0k

Isn't there enough pseudo-science, guesswork, and superstition in this hobby without injecting the supernatural into it?

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go ritually sacrifice a goat in front of my hives to drive the evil spirits away to ensure a good honey harvest...

Almost sounds like an offshoot of biodynamic farming.

Read a few books on this for fun but it is a little nutty. Involves using obelisks to increase geomagnetic energy and homemade concoctions known as biodynamic preparations for application on fields. One such concoction involves stuffing a cow horn w/ cow manure and burying it in the ground for the winter. Dig it up the following spring, add a little to a vat of water, mix vigorously in one direction then reverse repeatedly for a long period of time while making a high pitched screeching noise into the vat. Simply spray this on your field (during a new moon, I think) and you won't need anything else. Add a little to compost and it will be the best you ever had.

Some of it makes sense--like planting during new moon phases. I do this w/ sweet corn and almost never have issues w/ corn ear worms. This is mainly because the corn is silking out during a new moon phase when the moths can't orient as easily at night, not due to some mystical property.

Believe I also have a book that claims you will live for 150 years or longer too if you "potenteize" the water you drink (this is done w/ the high pitched screeching and mixing).

Since bee navigation systems are based on polarized light and not geomagnetic sensing (not sure they even have the receptors to detect) I would imagine any ley line--if truly real--would have little effect on survival but everything is science fiction until proven otherwise.

I tried to catch swarms by placing traps along lay lines, but it didn't work. To be in the center of the intersection of the lay lines I found that I had to put a post in the ground to mount the hive, otherwise the hive would actually be outside of the lay line intersection. Every time I started digging to put the pole in the ground I hit either an oil gusher, a water well or a pot of gold.

I gathered 4 swarms and witnessed a fifth in the same tree on the same limb in exactly the same spot this past spring. When I first looked into why this would be I found that one swarm may have left behind an odor that woudl attract further swarms. I thought this reasonable except for the time between swarms. sometimes two weeks or more. I did not think that enough of an odor would still remain to make a difference. It does seem to me that there are other factors that influence this consistency in hang out selection. I won't say it is lay lines, I won't say it is not. What I will say is it is obvious there is more than meets the eye. Far more than makes since. I don't think anyone is intelligent enough to know what since is. THey used to say the same thing about gravity and germs.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    I tried to catch swarms by placing traps along lay lines, but it didn't work. To be in the center of the intersection of the lay lines I found that I had to put a post in the ground to mount the hive, otherwise the hive would actually be outside of the lay line intersection. Every time I started digging to put the pole in the ground I hit either an oil gusher, a water well or a pot of gold.
    rofl.gif

Quote Originally Posted by awebber96 View Post
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go ritually sacrifice a goat in front of my hives to drive the evil spirits away to ensure a good honey harvest...
    No need to sacrifice a goat, just make sure all your hives have, "good chee" (also translated as "qi" or "chi".) Will solve all your problems.

cchoganjr

Hey pretty cool a new icon!!! In all seriousness Although I have a hard time with it I do work with a guy that his previous job he worked on a construction crew working with water mains. He said that they could find a main better with the "fork" than he could with their machinery. He said that there's a specific length and diameter of rod that was important, but he said it worked. Now he is a little "quirky" but not "spiritually" wacked out or anything that I'm aware of. (in truth aren't all of us "quirky"?) I've also talked with someone that has come out of major medical stuff that is able to find out where some of these underground geothermal lines and stuff is. To be honest it doesn't make sense to me either, but this person also isn't a mess either. I do remember something about these "lines" but I'll have to ask again. If this is true, then I'd like to put my traps on these lines. Hey I haven't had much luck with any of my other traps in 3 years. Even when I know there are hives in the area. (my hive swarmed at least twice and totally ignored my traps last year)

Cleo - I just ripped my top bar apart so I can rebuild it according to my consultant's Fung Sway guidance, and redesigning my bee yard for maximum production. Once I get some bees they are going to make more honey and no swarms will ever leave.

hehehee

For all you nonbelievers....go get a wire coat hanger, cut two 9" or so pieces, put a 90 degree bend to fit your hand. Now go out to where your water line or electric line is and walk across the known line with the coat hangers held loosely in each hand held out from your body with your arms level. For some of you your nonbelief will be removed. I tried it after the electric company came to mark existing lines at my new office site. Guy pulls up,gets out of the truck pulls his custom dousing rod out of the holster on his hip, can of spray paint in his other hand and marked where the rod showed. After my chin hit the ground I asked how else he would check the line, he said this was the most accurate way, got in his truck and left. As far as bees using it, that does seem farfetched. I am an eye doctor and very skeptical about anything I hear, but when I felt the coathangers move I was pretty amazed. Try it you may be amazed too.

I have seen people use dowsing rods and was pretty impressed. On the other hand whenever there is a double blind study it shows they don't work. My neighbor got a 30 gpm well dug recently (at 200 feet). The well digger used dowsing rods to find the best location. But my other neighbor got a well that was 800 feet with 3 gpm by the same well digger using the same rods. As a kid we would use dowsing rods and we could find the water line in the yard with them. On the other hand, we knew were the water line was.

What my friend said is there's something about the water that changes the gravitational pull or something like that. I'm VERY interested in trying it myself. Thanks for the coathanger idea.

skip the coat hanger, a green Y branch from an apple tree works better.
    I was asking my father last month where the water source was for a pipe that was bubbling up in the middle of his field.
    he had followed the underground pipe up the hill to a well he didn't know about
    I had almost forgotten that he has used this skill for years as a civil engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Danpa14 View Post
    I tried it after the electric company came to mark existing lines at my new office site. Guy pulls up,gets out of the truck pulls his custom dousing rod out of the holster on his hip, can of spray paint in his other hand and marked where the rod showed. After my chin hit the ground I asked how else he would check the line, he said this was the most accurate way, got in his truck and left. As far as bees using it, that does seem farfetched. I am an eye doctor and very skeptical about anything I hear, but when I felt the coathangers move I was pretty amazed. Try it you may be amazed too.
    You don't see any fault in that?

For one, just because the electric company's employee marked the area doesn't mean that it was accurate. Did anyone dig up the line and verify that where he had marked it was correct?

For two, when the lines were already marked and you attempted to find them yourself, there is a bias element that was presented. The theory of dousing says that if you keep your arms level and loose, your body becomes a conductor, so if mild amounts of electricity run through you the two rods can attract or repel each other. It also says that it allows your subconscious to take over a little bit, and find objects that your subconscious is aware of but your conscious isn't (or doesn't want to fully realize).

As you walked over the line, you wanted the rods to move. And move they did. Right where you knew the other guy had marked them.

If you really want to prove it, go to a new field. You use your dowsing rods first. Then call the electric company to come mark them. See if they are the same. If they are, dig up a spot to see if you were both accurate.

I can take some rods and find "magic spots" in the back yard. Doesn't mean they are worth a **** though.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
    You don't see any fault in that?

For one, just because the electric company's employee marked the area doesn't mean that it was accurate. Did anyone dig up the line and verify that where he had marked it was correct?

For two, when the lines were already marked and you attempted to find them yourself, there is a bias element that was presented. The theory of dousing says that if you keep your arms level and loose, your body becomes a conductor, so if mild amounts of electricity run through you the two rods can attract or repel each other. It also says that it allows your subconscious to take over a little bit, and find objects that your subconscious is aware of but your conscious isn't (or doesn't want to fully realize).

As you walked over the line, you wanted the rods to move. And move they did. Right where you knew the other guy had marked them.

If you really want to prove it, go to a new field. You use your dowsing rods first. Then call the electric company to come mark them. See if they are the same. If they are, dig up a spot to see if you were both accurate.

I can take some rods and find "magic spots" in the back yard. Doesn't mean they are worth a **** though.
    Oh well.....

Ok I'm honestly a bit confused. . . Dowsing is looking for water, but are Ley lines simply some sort of underground water path? If that's the case and if this info is accurate then all we need to do is put swarm traps up right over a water main? Can someone please explain the difference here? In one sense we're talking about underground water. (My friend used dowsing rods to find water main lines) and yet if you look up in wikipedia it seems to be many different things. (from geological, to human made landmarks, to buildings etc) When were talking about ley lines can we first define it please?

For those that believe in dowsing, it isn't just to find water lines. The book I cited to above said that you can find anything, literally anything that is underground if you focus on that one item. Water lines. Underground caves. Electricity lines. Even (theoretically) gold or burred treasure. I've heard of an individual using it to find his lost watch in the desert (within a few acres of known lost territory). Some claim that the electricity, electromagnetism, or various frequencies of the items you are looking for transfer through your body. Others refer to it as "good vibrations" of some sort, where the energy of the universe guides the rods. Some call it witchcraft.

But no. It's not just to find water lines.

Ley lines are best described in the article, or the book I referred to above. Going off memory, its where underground caverns, streams, or caves change the earth's natural resonance frequency. The change in the frequency (for whatever reason, sometimes underground natural streams, sometimes underground man made streams, some times not) is what the ley lines are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast