Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Swarm/Re-queen delimma I could really use some advice on....

So, do you think I should star a nuc with the queen that I just picked up or with the queen cell in the existing hive?

Hard to say without looking. If the hive is strong enough to make a nuc from it, I would probably nuc the queen and let the cell hatch where it is. If the hive is somewhat weak, I might make a really small mini mating nuc for the queen cell and let the new queen rebuild the hive. If the hive is in trouble, sacrifice the queen cell and install the new queen.

Well, I took the gamble and used my new queen to start a nuc.

Now today when I opened up the old hive, I found two frames with SMB infestation. I guess the hive wasn't strong enough to defend against them.

The new nuc hive is surviving, but I would not say prospering.

I could not find a queen in the original hive but there is some brood larvae in it, but not much.

I am at my wits end.....

You have one strong hive still? You can take outer brood frames and add to the weak ones without hurting the strong one. With bees or without. Often the boost will turn a hive around. Balanced hives helps a lot with robbing as well.
    SHB, cardboard sections I have read as being a quick no cost help. Not a problem I deal with much.

Old hive back into a nuc or a follower board (even cardboard follower) and removing empty frames.

New nuc; If your queen lays on day 1, most do not, can be a couple of weeks if it is a banked queen, It is 20 days before hatch, the only bees being added are from the starting frames.

Feeding will help, though I am guessing you are hard into your robbing season. If you feed, a little bit at a time and late in the day.

You have to admit, you are getting a chance to learn beekeeping. It gets easier.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    You have to admit, you are getting a chance to learn beekeeping. It gets easier.
    Oh, there is no doubt that this has been a challenge and certainly a learning experience.

I am thinking about combining the original hive and the nuc I have with the new queen. I don't think the original hive was successful at re-queening, and anyway, the hive is demoralized which is why I think I have the SHB infestation. I have removed the two frames that were infested (they are shot). Interestingly, when I removed those two frames and put them on the frame rack I have, the bees immediately attached the SHB larvae and started dragging them out of the comb and dropping them on the ground. I wonder why they didn't do that when the frames were in the hive????

Anyway, I think maybe the best way to rescue the two hives is to combine them at this point. My other healthy hive is doing great still.

Thoughts?

Thank you so much for the advice.

On the 19th the q cell was not capped. Highly unlikely to be laying and yes the hive can be flat without a queen. Your hives and you are the only one seeing them.

I expect they will revive with more time. I would use the strong hive to build the weak hives. Dropping drawn comb into the center or edges of the strong hive brood nest will crank it up to make up for the lost brood. You can also just leave the comb in long enough to get it layed up and move to the weak ones to let them do the work.

Texas keeps, do we need a local correction?
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12