Hybrid View

Default Swarm/Re-queen delimma I could really use some advice on....

So, here is my bee keeping story as briefly as possible:

I bought two nucs this spring and installed them in two hives in my backyard. Hive A took off, with new eggs/brood. Hive B, after two weeks had no eggs or larvae. I contacted the apiary where I got the nucs and no problem; they mailed me a new queen for Hive B which I installed and all is good there. Hive B is doing well.

4 weeks ago, Hive A, which had been doing really well, swarmed. A few days ago, I checked and there are open queen chambers, but I cannot find a queen and no eggs/brood/larvae. So, I have ordered a replacement queen which will be here next week.

So, here is my plan: I am going to check again this weekend and see if I can find a queen in Hive A, or if there are any eggs/brood/larvae. If there isn't, I am going to assume that the hive did not successfully re-queen and install the new queen when she gets in. If I do managed to stumble across a queen or eggs/brood/larvae, then I assume they have successfully re-queened. If this is the case, can I start a new hive with my new queen and some frames from my strong hive, Hive B?

And advice would be so appreciated since I really don't know what the hell I am doing, but have dreamed of raising bees since I was a kid.

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Swarm/Re-queen delimma I could really use some advice on....

hmmm, some times patience is key. Depending on how far along the cells were when they swarmed you should be seeing eggs around now or in a week. Queens take 2-3 weeks to start laying, sometimes longer depending on weather conditions. The queen may have emerged about a week after the swarm so you are right on the cusp of when to start seeing eggs.

I am not sure when my new queen will get to me. It could be as early as next Tuesday or as late as next Friday. Maybe I should wait until she gets in to make this call then?

Oh, and does my third hive option make sense if it turns out the original hive successfully re-queened?

Thank you so much for the advice.

How often are you inspecting your hives? I try to inspect at least once a week. That way I catch queen cells. I had about 8 this spring and used them for making more hives.

I normally inspect once a week, or every other week. I have tried to stay out of the swarmed hive, though. Right after the swarm, I checked on the hive and found 4 queen chambers that were closed up.

You could add a frame of eggs/larve from your hive that has a laying queen to the one that has no eggs. If they start building queen cells off of that, you don't have a queen. If the don't, you most likely have a queen that just hasn't started laying yet.