Thread: is this normal?

Default is this normal?

first year beek with a few questions
    I think these are drone cells but not sure?
    should I be leaving this on ?or should I scrape it off ?
    is this normal to build under the bottom bar like this? 20130629_163231.jpg

Default Re: is this normal?

Yes, they will build them where there is excessive space.. I cut them off to avoid crushing bees. your choice. Nothing lost or gained either way.

Drones. I usually cut them off being careful not to injure the queen. A couple of years ago I started adding a frame or two of foundationless frames. They usually draw out drone cells. A healthy hive want to raise drones. We sometimes forget that this is a good thing by adding worker size foundation in all 20 frames. They have to put drones somewhere!
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

what's under those frames? Seems like a lot of excess space. I scrape em off and open them up and look for mites.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    what's under those frames? Seems like a lot of excess space. I scrape em off and open them up and look for mites.
    That frame is out of the second brood box.they are building the drone cells right down to the top of the lower frames. Only on a couple frames right now. When I open it up again I will check for mites . This is was a new package in may so don't think mites will be a problem yet.
    thanks for the help
    Dave

Are there eggs in the queen cups on the bottom of the mass of drone cells?

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    Are there eggs in the queen cups on the bottom of the mass of drone cells?
    Not sure I thought they were all drone cells. Should I start thinking swarm? Being the first year I did not think I would have to worry about swarming.

Looks like there might be a couple of queen cells to the left of the photo at the bottom of the frame. The rest are drone cells. Was the queen located and in good condition? Is she marked? Is the hive "packed" with bees? Must be a reason for the cells, but you'd best wait and see what happens. Bees will usually take care of themselves.
    No one famous.

I thought I saw 2 queen cups on the very bottom toward the front of the frame. I always check for eggs if it is still the time for swarms to emerge. It has been years since I started a colony from a package and I can't remember them swarming, but I have colonies from nucs that swarm the first season they are made.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Whisperer View Post
    Looks like there might be a couple of queen cells to the left of the photo at the bottom of the frame. The rest are drone cells. Was the queen located and in good condition? Is she marked? Is the hive "packed" with bees? Must be a reason for the cells, but you'd best wait and see what happens. Bees will usually take care of themselves.
    Did not find the queen she is not marked and there are a lot of bee's but all the frames are not drawn out yet only 6 are drawn out .I'm thinking when they draw out 8 frames I will put the honey super on is that correct thing to do?

6 out of a nine frame or ten frame?
    Typically, when the box is 75 - 80% drawn and full... add.

BTW, did you see any fresh eggs in the last inspection?

Many would say yes, but I also look at the hive for congestion as well. If it seems packed, you may need to offer them more work area. Obviously the queen has not been gone too long since you have capped brood. She may have ducked you somehow. If you find her, you may think about the possibility of splitting.
    No one famous.

Beeman is correct. Look for eggs. If you find some standing straight up, she is probably close by.
    No one famous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    6 out of a nine frame or ten frame?
    Typically, when the box is 75 - 80% drawn and full... add.

BTW, did you see any fresh eggs in the last inspection?
    6 of 10 frames drawn out. Did not find queen but didn't pull the hive completely apart either. Did find eggs and larve every thing looks good but the drone cells. I never thought I may have to worry about splitting hives this early in my beekeeping career. And wondering when you say 75% to 80 % drawn and full do you mean the cells full or full of bee's?
    Last edited by D A V E; 06-30-2013 at 04:39 PM.

If you are seeing eggs and there are no queen cups with eggs or larvae in them, don't worry about splitting to prevent a swarm. If you have six frames of comb you probably have 3 that have mostly brood in them and 1 that is partly brood. Those frames will give you bout 12,000 adult bees in 3 weeks. You probably will need to add a super in 2 weeks. 12,000 adults usually are what 1 deep langstroth box will hold with 10 frames moderately covered by bees.

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    If you are seeing eggs and there are no queen cups with eggs or larvae in them, don't worry about splitting to prevent a swarm. If you have six frames of comb you probably have 3 that have mostly brood in them and 1 that is partly brood. Those frames will give you bout 12,000 adult bees in 3 weeks. You probably will need to add a super in 2 weeks. 12,000 adults usually are what 1 deep langstroth box will hold with 10 frames moderately covered by bees.
    Is my thinking correct that 2 deep box's will be enough space for them to keep circulating the eggs and have enough space to lay in and raise brood and above that are the honey suppers?

Yes. Two deeps typically is enough for brood. Some will even add a shallow as well. Honey above.
    A second year hive queen starts laying in March (or so) so the hive will be quite populated with brood by say end of April. A second year hive will want to swarm due to the population.
    First year hive... not so much.

Yes, it's normal.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

yup drones no worries. i leave them. they'll just make more until that phase is done. its like 'berrcomb". scrape it off because we dont like it and they waste energy building more. bees know more than we do

Sorry checked again tonight and this hive only has 4 frames drawn out in the second brood box and 2 of them are ones I pulled from down below but the second box has only been on for about a week.