Default Bees with Pollen

I am a new beekeeper and I see about 1 in 10 of my bees coming in with pollen on their legs, is this an indication that they are collecting nectar as well. I am trying to understand if I should feed or not. I got a 5 frame nuc last week and am not sure if I should be feeding or not.

Default Re: Bees with Pollen

They can collect both pollen and nectar on the same trip. You should be feeding if you are trying to get foundation drawn out, don't know if you have moved them into a full size hive yet. If the nuc was a strong 5 frame, that is, lots of brood covering at least 3-4 frames and the other frames full of food reserves, and of course bees covering all frames, then I would move them into a full size hive right now if you have not done so, and continue feeding as long as it takes to get them built up before winter. John

maynard....Welcome!

A few questions...Did you transfer the 5 frames into a 10 framer? If yes, did you give them foundation to get started on ?

How much stores (caped/uncapped honey, pollen, etc) did they have available from the original Nuc?

I will also say up front, I am not a fan of feeding hives unless they absolutely need it, but others will have differing opinions.

I did move them into a 10 frame deep with frames of foundation. There was lots of brood in different stages of development. Lots of larvae. One frame full of honey/nectar. I don't want to feed unless they need it.

I'm not a fan of feeding syrup either, but I don't think there is much flow left where Maynard27 is located so in order to get comb drawn and food reserves accumulated before winter he may have to feed, feed, feed. I know in my area, trying to get foundation drawn after late July is like pulling teeth, even if you do feed. John

Awesome. Thank you! I will try to feed them.