It is unrelated to the bees, sorry
It is unrelated to the bees, sorry
seed in our natural environment degrades quickly in time, thanks to our elements, weather, disease and handling. there are seeds that will survive through the generations but those are but a small % of the yearly production. Weed seeds will have nearly 90% of its seeds germinate or degrade within the first 5 years, and the other 10% will last from then til, well, as long as when your grandfather had worked the land.
that was the point I was making to your comment about germination
I understand your point your making with GM bees, but I would have a hard time comparing it to seed production. Seed production is such a controlled environment, and entirely measurable. How would anyone be able to track bees? or the offspring off those queens? or the gererations off those queens? Once sold to the beekeeper, the genetics would be part of the operation til that hive or operation died off.
Last edited by cerezha; 06-26-2013 at 02:07 AM. Reason: grammar
No folks, it doesn't take a long time to make GM bees.
Remebee was a jumping gene derived product that could ,theoretically, make instantly transgenic bees.
It contained a known SINE. All that would be required is the corresponding LINE (with the correct retrotransposase), and it could make instantly transgenic bees. However, it's unlikely that it would be stable. A plus.
Sorry, I don't know how to link to a PDF document but Eric Mussen has some really interesting info about Monsanto and Remebee in his most recent newsletter which you can easily subscribe to free of charge here: Also some interesting pesticide related info.
Sorry link isnt working. Perhaps search UC Davis/Mussen
Last edited by jim lyon; 06-26-2013 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Typo
"People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney
Here is the link to the Mussen article Jim mentions above:
The relevant comments start at the bottom of page 2.
. . . . . . "those who want to see, can see". - - [Oldtimer - 2016]
Thanks, Graham. Perhaps Barry needs to upgrade your title to Resident archiver/link specialist.
The newsletter mentions the find that Varroa can take up ds RNA from bees.
That suggests the off target issue that I've mentioned before.
[QUOTE=cerezha;962899]See, I did not "invent" it -
You keep posting pure nonsense. You clearly have very little understanding of agriculture. Planting an extra 25% of seeds because you have an 80% germination rate is not a solution to poor germination for instance. Maybe that is what is done in Russia but is a miserable practice for obvious reasons. Reasons have nothing to do with beekeeping so you figure it out on your own.
You clearly do not understand how Monsanto runs their business, what the agreements actually state nor who Monsanto has sued. Again, not beekeeping so you figure it out. But until then stop making up facts. That is not intended as a defense of Monsanto. I do not like the company as I have stated in the past for reasons that have nothing to do with their current or past product line.
Everything you eat is GMO. You will probably never figure that out I suppose. GMO is not new at all. Nature has been in the GMO business for 4 billion years and is very, very good at it. Better than man is in the lab.
You also use Wikipedia as a source! Kind of incredible. I thought anyone who was a high school grad would realize the only time it is appropriate to use Wikipedia as a source is if the topic of the paper is Wikipedia.
What about the OSGATA suit?
That wasn't a fantasy, even though they lost.
- making RNA is expensive;
- RNA generally is unstable. dsRNA is more stable than single-stranded, but still - the purpose of dsRNA is to be "diced" by a Dicer, so it should have a short life
- dsRNA does not induce a real immunity with immune-system involved. Since dsRNA is unnatural, it draws attention at the intracellular level but it is not immunity because it has no memory - once dsRNA disappeared, cell does not remember anymore and does not provide specific respond.
- it potentially could work against viruses. It does not work against mites - Monsanto will won a Nobel Prize if they figured out how to target the varroa itself with RNAi.
- we need to understand, that Monsanto is not creating the science, they just use (buy) it. Thus, they should wait until somebody will solve varroa problem, probably in academia ... to buy it out ...
Let me remind you, there are interntional treaties that prohibit the testing of the very agents that they used in California.
They tested a local CCD strain of IAPV, along with an Isreali derived jumping gene, on Honeybees, in the California Valley, right before almond pollination.
That's why the trial was halted.