Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Monsanto & Bayer Working On Varroa Mite Solutions

Alfalfa.

Don't forget the study I showed you regarding an increase in soybean yields due to Honeybee pollination.

Also, bees are known to be all over certain types of corn.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    an increase in soybean yields due to Honeybee pollination.
    right....
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

from the opening link ;
    >>>Only a closer look shows the immense benefits of this innovation. The plastic strip is coated in chemicals. Whenever a bee passes through the gate, it touches the edge. This transfers a mite poison (acaricide) to the bee and kills any mites it may be carrying. The substance needs to be permanently available on the surface of the strip so that protection can last for several weeks. <<<

Whats the chances of any pollen making it into the hive through this gadget? or worst, when the bees get the pollen through, it will be nicely treated with its chemical agent,...
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Alfalfa.

Don't forget the study I showed you regarding an increase in soybean yields due to Honeybee pollination.

Also, bees are known to be all over certain types of corn.
    Farmers raising alfalfa seed learned that decades ago. Corn and beans? i wish. Farmers and crop managers aren't stupid if there were a 10% yield to be gained farmers would be beating down my door for bees. I have never seen bees on a corn tassel in years and rarely find one in a soybean field. Come on out and see (or don't see) for yourself. I will pay you $100 for each bee you can photograph on a field corn tassel or a soybean bloom.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

again WLC, that lack of agricultural connection is shinning through

this is a reason why the beekeeping industry cherishes Randy Oliver so much, his back ground in agriculture proves to be very useful
    www.stepplerfarms.com

If Bayer and Monsanto were serious about protecting bees, maybe they could start by addressing the issue of planter dust in either the application instructions and/or the sales literature for their neonic products. I spent the better part of an hour at Monsanto's and Bayer's website reading over the MDSS and application directions for their neonic products, and I didn't see a word about planter dust and steps to take to mitigate it, even though there's clear evidence of hives being seriously harmed or wiped out by planter dust. When one kernal of neonic-treated/coated seed has enough poison on it to kill 100,000 bees, you'd think they'd be a little more clear with their end users about what the risks are and how to avoid them.

I predict that within the next 5-10 years, GMO's will loose favor as GMO labeling laws in the US take effect and consumers shun them, and farmers start to take a cold hard look at rising seed and proprietary pesticide costs coupled with decreased consumer demand and marginal if any increases in yield. Europe and Asia have made it clear that for the most part they want nothing to do with GMO's, and the recent "Ghost GMO" wheat in found in Oregon has brought the issue into the international spotlight again. 2 million people in over 60 countries took to the streets just a few weeks ago and the message was loud and clear: We don't trust Monsanto and we don't want GMO's....

from the opening link ;
    >>>Only a closer look shows the immense benefits of this innovation. The plastic strip is coated in chemicals. Whenever a bee passes through the gate, it touches the edge. This transfers a mite poison (acaricide) to the bee and kills any mites it may be carrying. The substance needs to be permanently available on the surface of the strip so that protection can last for several weeks. <<<

I wonder if this treatment would greatly shorten the life span of the foraging bees, being treated everytime they leave and enter the hive. hundreds of visits are made each day,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    GMO's will loose favor as GMO labeling laws in the US take effect and consumers shun them,
    That is the best way to get GMO's off the market place, if consumers quit buying them
    www.stepplerfarms.com

We all know that's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    If Bayer and Monsanto were serious about protecting bees, maybe they could start by addressing the issue of planter dust in either the application instructions and/or the sales literature for their neonic products.
    Bayer has been actively researching methods of reducing planter dust off: http://www.croplife.com/article/3329...linator-summit
    http://seedgrowth.bayer.com/index.php?id=29

I have never seen bees on a corn tassel in years and rarely find one in a soybean field. Come on out and see (or don't see) for yourself. I will pay you $100 for each bee you can photograph on a field corn tassel or a soybean bloom.
    Jim, I can get you as many pictures as you like. Saw bees on tassels just this morning. Though it wasn't field corn. Silver Queen I believe.
    Try it. What could happen?

Big Dawg it was mentioned at the summit, the dust issue. Eric Mussen had some suggestions of either using less talc or doing something just prior to planting to reduce dust, but I didn't quit hear what he said clearly.

"I will pay you $100 for each bee you can photograph on a field corn tassel or a soybean bloom."

Jim, you'd better hope that hpm doesn't want some of that action. He reported that Honeybees were all over certain varieties of corn.

"again WLC, that lack of agricultural connection is shinning throughthis is a reason why the beekeeping industry cherishes Randy Oliver so much, his back ground in agriculture proves to be very useful"

Oh really? I'm the one who pointed out that researchers were working on developing strains of pollinator friendly soybeans since they discovered that even self pollinating soybeans can benifit from pollinators. It can increase yields.

Jim, you'd better hope that hpm doesn't want some of that action. He reported that Honeybees were all over certain varieties of corn.
    I have bees fairly close to some sweet corn and the farmer reports lots of bees in the tassels. I have bees next to some field corn and I've never see a bee on the tassels. I believe that bees work sweet corn but not field corn. I'm sure Jim was talking about field corn.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Farmers raising alfalfa seed learned that decades ago. Corn and beans? i wish. Farmers and crop managers aren't stupid if there were a 10% yield to be gained farmers would be beating down my door for bees. I have never seen bees on a corn tassel in years and rarely find one in a soybean field. Come on out and see (or don't see) for yourself. I will pay you $100 for each bee you can photograph on a field corn tassel or a soybean bloom.
    What about Buckwheat yield? I have a guy who wants my bees to work his buckwheat field because his Dad told him buckwheat needs bees.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Here's a link to a Xerces article on how bees can increase soybean yields:

http://www.xerces.org/2011/04/01/pol...ecrease-risks/

My point being...

While it's great that Monsanto, Bayer, etc. are now interested in helping out the bees, I would characterize the Varroa pesticide strip as being kinda lame.

Now making all varieties of GM crops, even the self pollinating kind, attractive to bees, that would be really helpful to beekeepers.

Jim:

Here's a video for you to examine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJeEYC7oRW8

No, I'm not going to collect. Just toss something extra in the collection basket.

Goodness, read what Jim said!

"Come on out and see (or don't see) for yourself. I will pay you $100 for each bee you can photograph on a field corn tassel or a soybean bloom."

Showing a video of a bee or two on silver queen corn tassel proves what? It's not field corn nor the variety that is planted where Jim lives. Forget about the collection plate, sounds like you need to visit the confessional.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-16-2013 at 06:22 AM.
    Regards, Barry

Barry:

It's a mindset issue.

Crop scientists are saying that they can make crops, even the self pollinating ones, attractive to bees.

Now since Jim is a beekeeper, and his corn isn't a variety that bees find attractive...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast