Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Monsanto & Bayer Working On Varroa Mite Solutions

Monsanto Research:

Beekeepers, Monsanto come together for summit Jun 13, 2013
    http://www.arcamax.com/business/busi...ource=outbrain

Excerpt: "The company is working on a new technology intended to control a tiny insect, called the varroa mite, that has been a major factor in the decimation of honey bees. If Monsanto successfully brings the technology to market, it could be a blockbuster."

Bayer-Crop Science Research:

A new way of protecting bees against varroa mites
    http://beecare.bayer.com/media-cente...t-varroa-mites

Excerpt: "In the past, efforts to control this parasite have concentrated exclusively on treatment in the hive, but foraging bees then bring back new mites when they return home. Bayer’s scientists have been working with bee researchers from Frankfurt University to develop the varroa gate, which is designed to prevent reinfection. This innovative front door should effectively protect the hive against the deadly parasite."

Default Re: Monsanto & Bayer Working On Varroa Mite Solutions

For me to give these two companies a single penny, they would have to cure mites FOREVER.
    Public opinion of both companies are at an all time low.

Well of course they are working on killing the Varro... its the only chance they have to deflect the accusation that GMO crops are killing off bees. The question is what if this does work and work really well? What if CCD and massive bee offs decline?

I really don't like Monsanto but I need to also keep a open mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ElderBombadil View Post
    The question is what if this does work and work really well? What if CCD and massive bee offs decline?
    According to Randy Oliver, an oversupply of bees would be real bad for the keepers that go to almonds and other crops that are currently commanding high rental prices:
    http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/w...=1&O=A&P=82277

"The market for bees is self regulating. A shortage of bees could cause a temporary setback for the almond industry, but a real disaster for beekeepers would be a glut of bees that would drive the pollination price to the floor. An over supply of bees would put many of us out of business."

So in other words, the current CCD crisis can in a way be considered good for commercial beekeeping business.

That is unfortunate; logically, it means that commercial operations - which is where lies any and all of the money and lobbying power our field has - can be counted upon to support CCD-combative efforts less and less the closer to a solution anybody gets.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

Quote Originally Posted by ElderBombadil View Post
    The question is what if this does work and work really well? What if CCD and massive bee offs decline?
    You'd have a lot of die hard anti-neonic folks out there swearing it is an illusion.

Coming from Monsanto, who told us that PCB's were safe (which we now know is one of the most toxic substances on the planet) and got caught TWICE during the Roundup approval process of hiring outside labs that falsified scientific data, made false statements to investigators, and committed mail fraud (over 14 people went to prison....) I don't put much faith in what Monsanto says. Clearly, they are looking to divert attention away from their neonicotinoid products which have already made them over a billion dollars in profits...

Key word is what if.... Neonic may also be a problem. However we can't figure it out if you have so many competing issues. We work on solving them and when you get one out of the way its easyer to see if that was the issue or not.

As for the shortage of bees being a boon for commercial beekeepers; I can understand their pain. I was a real estate appraiser during the 1990s and watch as our family firm lost business to appraisers that would hit any number and do it cheap. After the crash the demand dropped like a rock and the industry lost well over half the appraisers... my self included. Now with the latest real estate bubble being blown there is lack of appraiser and demand and fees are up a little bit. Capitalism can be a nasty to the business man but its better then a nationally plan economy. Commercial Beeks need to understand the ins and out and learn to adapt to survive. That or get out and find a different living.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    Coming from Monsanto, who told us that PCB's were safe (which we now know is one of the most toxic substances on the planet) and got caught TWICE during the Roundup approval process of hiring outside labs that falsified scientific data, made false statements to investigators, and committed mail fraud (over 14 people went to prison....) I don't put much faith in what Monsanto says. Clearly, they are looking to divert attention away from their neonicotinoid products which have already made them over a billion dollars in profits...
    Do you have any links to these. I am not doubting you, I would just like to read about that.
    Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked Hulk in the face. Now he hides in the forest and changed his name to Shrek

Here is just one that is fall off a log easy to find.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_biphenyl
    I didn't do much more than a trip over it effort. You might find much more if you search PCB's.

Here is another that addresses Monsanto's credibility and ethics. i make no claim as to it's accuracy. just that someone thought enough of it to write it.
    http://www.organicconsumers.org/monsanto/pcbs010702.cfm
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Varroa has been here since the late 1980's and CCD was not until 2006. I have a hard time believing that varroa is the main issue for the recent decline in beehive survival over winter. Common sense and logic says this is a distraction from Bayer and Monsanto.

I am no friend of Monsanto and I think there GMO stuff should not be used. That being said we all know that Monsanto will do what is best for Monsanto... right now that is to try and prove that their chemicals are not an issue. What they have to do of course is find another issue that is taking down bees. If they can find a way to stop varroa I would like to see them give it a shot. Of course if they succeed I bet we will still be seeing odd CCD issues and they will not have varroa to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    Clearly, they are looking to divert attention away from their neonicotinoid products which have already made them over a billion dollars in profits...
    Monsanto made a billion dollars manufacturing neonics? Which ones?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    Varroa has been here since the late 1980's and CCD was not until 2006. I have a hard time believing that varroa is the main issue for the recent decline in beehive survival over winter. Common sense and logic says this is a distraction from Bayer and Monsanto.
    I'm with you Ray. It's really sad to see what their money buys including prominent beekeepers like Jerry Hayes.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

LOL JIm, these guys don't even know it's Bayer that makes all those and not Monsanto, that's how informed they are. I bet they think Monsanto makes the most money out of all the ag/ag chemical companies too. I got to watch the summit there was some interesting perspectives. I don't remember who said it, but they believed varroa is probably 80% responsible for most of the issues but we'll have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Do you have any links to these. I am not doubting you, I would just like to read about that.
    Sure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industr...t_Laboratories

It's interesting to note that IBT hired one of Monsanto's toxicologists (Dr. Paul Wright) to complete the lab's safety analysis of PCB's to be turned into the government. Of course as we now know, PCB's are one of the most toxic substances on earth, even though for decades Monsanto told the public and govt regulators that PCB's were safe.

"The magnitude of IBT's scientific misconduct was considered to have been extensive: 618 of 867 (71%) of studies audited by the FDA were invalidated for having "numerous discrepancies between the study conduct and data."[5][27] Consequently, IBT would later be described as being "at the center of one of the most far-reaching scandals in modern science, as thousands of its studies were revealed through EPA and FDA investigations to be fraudulent or grossly inadequate."[28]

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...Q/9x9lCoh9N3MJ

http://pubs.acs.org/subscribe/archiv...ml/11regs.html

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    LOL JIm, these guys don't even know it's Bayer that makes all those and not Monsanto, that's how informed they are. I bet they think Monsanto makes the most money out of all the ag/ag chemical companies too. I got to watch the summit there was some interesting perspectives. I don't remember who said it, but they believed varroa is probably 80% responsible for most of the issues but we'll have to wait and see.

If your position is that Monsanto does not make money from neonicotinoid products, you would be wrong. Smartstax, Acceleron, Poncho, and Poncho Votivo, are all neonics products sold and marketed by Monsanto.

Ur funny BigDawg. Smartstax is a traited seed, not an insecticide. If you spell Monsanto like this B-A-Y-E-R then you are correct on the others.

Smartstax is treated with Monsanto's Acceleron...

Yes, Monsanto partners with Bayer, Dow, etc., but they also directly market and sell neonics products:

http://www.monsanto.com/products/Pag...-products.aspx

http://www.acceleronsts.com/Corn/Doc...o%20VOTiVO.pdf

Simply put: neonicitinoids are not Monsantos business and Bayer makes Poncho. And where do you get your billion dollar profit from neonicitinoid numbers? Why not just deal with facts instead of hyperbole?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast