Thread: Evodia Trees

Default Evodia Trees

I got some Korean Evodia Trees as 6" saplings in July of 2011.
    They've been growing really well and are now approaching 12 ft.
    A May frost hurt some of the new growth but they have recovered well and I think one may be sprouting buds and will flower this year.
    Does this look like flower buds for those that know this tree?

evodia blossom 2013.jpg

You can see the pale leaves as a result of the frost but all the new growth since is dark green

Default Re: Evodia Trees

where did you get 6 in saplings in july, I was looking for these the other day and it seems to late in the yr from everybody.

Looks like flower buds to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    where did you get 6 in saplings in july, I was looking for these the other day and it seems to late in the yr from everybody.
    http://www.forestfarm.com/product.php?id=1827

Your tree needs fertilizer, too yellow. Mine are more like this color. Those are flower buds.

If that yellowing is at the growing tips of the plant then it is a micronutrient deficiency--possibly iron. The pattern of discoloration can tell you what you need--if the leaves are at the bottom then it is nitrogen. If random all over then possibly over watering.

Thanks OD and JC. It was definately at new growth but now all is well This is their 3rd year and the first time I've seen the yellow leaves. The other 6 have greened up like the ones in your photo. This is the first year I didn't give them my chicken n horse manure cocktail lol. I added some fertilizer stakes though and they are once again looking good! Still have some yellow leaves but all new growth is the deeper green. My forester looked them over and thinks it was the frost but I fertilized just in case.

On edit I noticed the same thing happened to the wild cherry trees in my forest. They have rebounded as well but I didn't fertilize the forest (27 acres)
    evodia tree 6 2013.jpg

The yellow will stay yellow on the old growth--will not turn green even if corrected.

Usually frost damage dies off and dries to a brown color in my experience but I guess it depends on the plant--tomatoes look like cooked spinach the day after and are usually killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Honey View Post
    Sent them an email about them. They said it would have to be airmail ($30) shipping now. Wait until Oct or April to order.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Do any of you know if it's too late to start Evodia seeds this year? I have quite a few tree tubes left from an oak planting project I did. I was thinking about direct sowing the seeds in my garden. Placing a tree tube over each seed and digging and transplanting in fall of 2014. Any advice?

I bought some seeds and there were instructions about soaking the seeds in water then putting them in the refrigerator for the winter and then planting them in spring. It wouldn't hurt to try, but I don't know how successful you'd be.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

The seeds need to be stratified, imitation of winter, before sowing. Out side this late in most climates does not leave a lot of growing season. The seeds should be sown in a protected bed, probably not in a growing tube.

Thanks for the advice. I may try half the seed. I'll put them in the deep freeze for a time then plant them.

I planted 5 last spring that I bought from ODFRANK. They are about 3' or 4' high now. I planted them on the edge of the woods in a cow pasture. I protected them form the cows, but one out grew the protection and the cows have not eaten the leaves yet.

>cows have not eaten the leaves yet
    They have that chocolatey odor. I wonder how deer resistant they are. I have to test that.

The Japanese Beetles seem to favor them. When mine were little I would sprinkle gardening lime on them and it kept all the pests away.