Default Cotinus ssp., Smoketree

I just want to get a thread on the internet about this plant; Cotinus spp. Mine is a Cotinus coggygria. It took me two days of research to identify this plant, and nowhere does the internet mention bees and other pollinators flocking to it. Well, my tree currently can be heard buzzing from 40 ft. away.

There is also a U.S. native species, Cotinus obovatus. Both species come in many cultivars, and some cultivars may be more attractive to bees than others as some cultivars rarely flower ( I guess ).

Flowers:

Leaves:

Twigs have solid pith:

Best regards,

MT

Default Re: Cotinus ssp., Smoketree

This seems promising for some good honey crop. How's the honey coming from this tree?
    And how do you propagate by seeds or the branch?

Default Re: Cotinus ssp., Smoketree

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    This seems promising for some good honey crop. How's the honey coming from this tree?
    And how do you propagate by seeds or the branch?
    I have not been in my hives since the tree has been in bloom. But both of the ones I have here are just buliding up into the second deep, so I don't know how many stores they are keeping around.

As far as propagating, once the new growth stops flowering and leaves out, I will be trying several cuttings. I will also look for seeds/fruit son after flowering. If they have something that looks viable, I may try that as well. However, my best bet will be when this thing shoots up a hundred suckers like a silver maple.... Those looked really easy to root, but much easier to mow!

Best regards,

MT