Default Using green lumber to make hive bodies?

Ok so I have access to free/cheap Lumber from a sawmill I used to work for. I was planning on starting to build my own equipment using this ruff cut green/wet lumber. Has anyone ever used lumber that wasn't kiln dried? I know if the lumber sits around to long without bieng "stuck" (stacked with sticks to keep it straight while air drying) it will warp and cup, but what if I use the lumber before it dries? I plan on using rabbet joints instead of box joints, to eleminate the fingers from producing big gaps when the lumber does dry. Does anyone that makes their own hive bodies us anything other than store bought kiln dried lumber? Thanks for any suggestions

Default Re: Using green lumber to make hive bodies?

I have been using fir from a friends lumber mill but I let it air dry stickered for a couple months. If it is green it will probably shrink a lot and warp terribly.

Sticker it for a year so it's more or less equilibrated with the outside air. If you make boxes with green lumber, they WILL shrink, warp, twist, and cup.

Since you are not moving the wood inside where there is central heating, a year to air dry will be fine. You can then plane and cut to size with the expectation it won't move too much in the next few years.

Peter

I used some cypress that was still too green. shrank, split, and started pulling apart at the joints. Luckily it stopped before it was too late. had to add strips to the bottom to get the bee space back. Not worth the trouble. Do it right, let it dry.

Durstlight
    If you have a building with a tin roof store it in there sticker ed for several mouths and get a moisture meter from Harbor Freight and you should be good to go.

Somewhere on here, (another forum) I posted an experiment I did with rough saw,(green) pine, and rough saw (green) poplar. I posted photos of box cut nucs. If i remember correctly, they both shrank about 3/4 inch in width in 9 months. Almost no shrinkage in length and thickness.

I now sticker, air dry, all my pine, cypress, and poplar for one year.

cchoganjr

> I posted an experiment I did with rough saw,(green) pine, and rough saw (green) poplar.

I believe this may be the thread Cleo is referring to:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...building-boxes

See post #20
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Radar...That is it. Once again you have the memory of an elephant. Thanks.

Lot of good info in that thread on using green,wet, or air cured lumber.

cchoganjr