Default friend's bait box in Wisconsin

A few weeks ago my friend in Wisconsin wrote to me asking how to set up a bee house--not one where she is putting in frames or opening once bees move in. She wants them for her garden only. It sounds like the size of a squirrel box and she drilled an opening of 1 1/2 inch. She got lemongrass oil and applied as I instructed, plus I sent her a sheet that was used as a filter for dark comb in my solar wax melter. She put a couple drops on it and put that in the bottom of the box before sealing it up, then a few drops around outer box and at entrance.

Do you think that filter sheet will work as well as comb? Has all the same ingredients, clean wax around the edge and dark wax, propolis at center, about 5x5".

They have been having an on and off cool spring and I don't know their swarm times, but she wrote today and said that either a bee or a wasp was checking out the box. Of course I wanted to know, bee or wasp, what was it????
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Default Re: friend's bait box in Wisconsin

Bevy, which part of the state is she in? I am in the Mid-part just east of Minneaopolis, MN. This has been a slow year for swarms - I have noticed in the few years I have been keeping bees that prime swarm time is normally the second week in June. So timing wise it is about right for this part of WI. I am assuming she just dropped the sheet in - wouldn't hang it in as it will get in their way.

She's in Appleton, about 30 miles south of Green Bay. I told her to lay the sheet on the bottom of the box. Thanks Adrian--that's encouraging to hear she got it out in time.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24

I watched a swarm move into my bait hive yesterday afternoon around 5:30.

Jim, isn't that the coolest thing to watch??!!
    My friend is on vacation right now; I hope she comes home to a box of bees in her yard.

[QUOTE=bevy's honeybees;956916] she drilled an opening of 1 1/2 inch.

bevy... Why did she drill a hole 1 1/2 inch. That size hole is larger than most birds around here use. (blue birds, starlings, martins, sparrows, etc.) I would think she would not want birds visiting it.

cchoganjr

Good point. I will tell her to cover 1/3rd or so with something, then if she gets a swarm she can open it up again. I told her that size because I have some plywood nuks and that's the size of the opening. I have used those for baits, and regular nuks and boxes, reducing down to 1 1/2 but I hadn't thought about all the small birds in the north.