Default Who supplies 8 frame slatted racks 14" wide?

I am looking for a supplier of 8 frame slatted racks who makes them in a width of 14" so they will match Mann Lake 8 frame equipment. who for some reason do not yet supply 8 frame slatted racks. Brushy Mtn's are narrower.

Default Re: Who supplies 8 frame slatted racks 14" wide?

I make Killion style 8 frame slatted racks that run perpendicular to the frames. If interested
    in that type of slatted rack contact me, ctyacreswagon@hotmail.com

I can build these any size, width, height,and depth. Also can make them with wider slats that are spaced the same as the frames.

I haven't kept up, but Betterbee used to have eight frame slatted racks.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

ok this may be a dumb question, but what are slatted racks for?

C.C. Miller's version was slightly different. He made a deeper bottom and the rack sat on that bottom. The "modern" ones have a frame around them that makes the 2" extra space. This is C.C. Miller's description:

"The bottom-board is a plain box, two inches deep, open at one end. It is made of six pieces of 7/8" stuff; two pieces 22 1/2" x 2", one piece 12 1/8" x 2", and three pieces 13 7/8" x 7 1/2". When so desired, the bottom-board is fastened to the hive by means of four staples 1 1/2 in. wide, with points 3/4 inch long. With such a bottom-board there is a space two inches deep under the bottom-bars, a very nice thing in winter, and at any time when there is no danger of bees building down, but quite too deep for harvest-time. Formerly I made the bottom-board reversible, reversing it in summer so as to use the shallow side, but latterly I leave the deep side up summer and winter. Of course, with a 2-inch space under the bottom-bars the bees would build down, sometimes even as early as dandelion bloom. Before that time I shove under the bottom-bars a bottom-rack. As material for a rack there are 2 pieces 18 x 1 x 3/4, and 21 pieces 10 1/2" x 3/8" x 5/16" The little pieces are nailed upon the 3/4 inch sides of the two larger pieces, ladder-fashion, with 1/2" inch space between each two strips. The strips are allowed to project over at each side about an inch.

"I value this bottom-rack highly. It prevents building-down, and at the same time gives the bees nearly the full benefit of the deep space, preventing over-heating in hot weather, thus serving as no small factor in the prevention of swarming. It also saves the labor of lifting the hive off the bottom-board to reverse the bottom-board and then lifting the hive back again, spring and fall."--C.C. Miller, Fifty Years Among the Bees
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

You can check out this link for information on the 14 inch 8 frame slatted racks provided by Betterbee.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...582#post957582

Thanks

Chris Cripps
    chris@betterbee.com