Default Need advice on a disaster with cut out.

I did a cut out yesterday and by the time I got home, I had a disaster with comb melting and bees drowning in honey. There wasnt that many bee to begin with, but now theres not many at all. I found the queen later in the evening and she looks like shes in pristine condition. I dont know how she made it....but now I have a few hundred or a thousand bees and no comb worth using and dont know what to do. Ive got the bees in a nuc with the queen in a queen cage. Theres not even enough bees to cover a few frames, I dont think.

So how do I go about this ? Im guessing my priority is to try and save the queen right ? And give her something to lay in or climb on ? I have 5 other hives and 2 are recent swarm catches (past 2 weeks) and both have queens as well as my 3 other existing hives. Ideas anyone ?
    My blog and website: FromtheHive.org

Default Re: Need advice on a disaster with cut out.

put in a frame or two of brood and an empty comb into the nuc and release the queen fill out with drawn comb or foundation. Crush and strain the honey from the cutouit and feed it back to them. Hope for the best.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

^^^^^ x2

I agree with Sharpbees. I made the mistake of giving a small # of bees too much some time ago. They cannot take care of it all and are all over the place. Put them in something small they can handle like a shallow nuc with a smaller entrance so there is less to guard and feed them the honey back to them as they need it. If they have too much to guard wax moths and hive beetles will get them.