Default Afri-frame - anyone using it?

Was just surfing the web and came across a Beekeeping website from South Africa. They have developed a new kind of frame, a combination of a top bar and a Langstroth frame. It is made of plastic.

See the following website for their description of the innovative frame: http://www.africanhoneybee.co.za/inn...fri-frame.html

Has anyone heard of this frame, is anyone using it and is it really as innovative as it promises?

Meanwhile, I keep myself busy with my beekeeping project at the school I volunteer at in Kenya. We have an observation Kenya Top bar Hive. See pictures at: www.bit.ly/beekeepingkenya

Default Re: Afri-frame - anyone using it?

Neat design. I am using similar approach (minimalistic foundationless frame), but from wood. Bees are happy. If available and cheap, I would not mind to try "afri-frame".
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-16-2012/page5
    Серёжа, Sergey

Never heard of it but it's an interesting design.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

In the US they sell plastic frames but, with a plastic foundation (which can be hit or miss with my bees). But, it looks like a good idea. Hope he does well.

An interesting bit of engineering. Are they economically w/in reach for many Kenyans?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Looks as though the company is looking for investors to market a cheap affordable plastic frame for developing countries. Basically its a foundationless narrow frame (1 1/4 inches, or 32mm). If you look at the treatment free forum there is a ton of information on that basic idea.

It's the right width and it's foundationless. I'd use them if they were cheap and available. A lot of people who want foundationless don't want plastic, so it's hard to say what the market here would be...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF