Hybrid View

Default Need pallet plans! Please share yours.

Hello all,
    I will be building some clip pallets here soon, but I need good plans/designs. Please share your thought and ideas. Photos are welcome! Thanks!

Default Re: Need pallet plans! Please share yours.

Regards, Barry

Check out this site for plans http://www.meyerhoneyfarms.com/clips.html It looks like their using the W clips.

Also check out http://georgiabees.blogspot.com/2012...migratory.html

I personally would use the second one. I like the gap he has in the back for water run off and also the wider lip. I've had the privilege of working with the u clip pallets and it's kind of a pain to hit the clip just right. how ever a commercial beekeeper told me that when you ratchet the hives to the truck if their not tight then they end up tipping in. Also, when it comes to needing to tip the boxes back, the more room you have the better and the easier your hand and arm will fit between the back of the boxes.

I'm sure you'll find out your likes and dislikes. Good luck!

I chose to go with 'W' clips last year when I started a bunch of my hives out on pallets and here's why, maybe some of these reasons you'll be able to relate to maybe not.

The 'U' clip places the hives sitting right next to one another while the 'W' clip leaves a little room in between hives that are sitting next to one another (~1/2" I think going off of my rusty memory and my crooked eye ball). At the time I figured the added bit of space would help while performing manipulations. It's wrong of me to conjecture on this idea seeing as how I haven't tried the 'U' clips but I still stand by my original thinking cause it's late and I can't stand the thought of being wrong at 12:30 in the morning when I have to get up for work at 4:30.

This goes hand in hand with the above statement but the gap in between the colonies allows a little bit of airflow which I feel is always a plus on a 100 degree day out on the prairie (I know you know what I mean

This is based off of being a fabricator and working with a lot of metal, and I could be wrong, but I feel the 'W' clip has a lot more rigidity to it then what the 'U' clip would offer based simply off the fact of how it's bent and how they're fastened. I can't quote any tensile strength tests this is more just a feeling of looking at them and going off of experience and a "gut feeling". That, and I would really hate to be wrong at this early hour so I'm just going to assume I'm right.

The 'U' clips may make it easier to set the bottom deep back in place (just a guess) but the 'W' clips have their own little slot for each colony instead of two colonies sharing the same spot. Again, much more rigid (IMHO).

That about sums it up, if you want some photos I can shoot them to you when I get a chance. I'm trying to think of what the dimensions were that I used when Making them. I want to say 33.5"W x 44"L... I don't rightly remember. I'd run out to the garage and check with one of the pallets I have sitting there but I really don't want to throw on any clothes (there's a mental image for you all!). If I remember when I get home from work tomorrow I'll measure some up and then when I'm out and about this weekend poking around I'll try and snap some photos for you. I went with a couple of different designs when I was making mine and there are a few i definitely like more then the others.

CHEERS!
    We the willing have done so much with so little for so long we can now do anything with nothing

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg175 pallets fresh dipped in asphalt

Wow, David. Looks great!