Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Honey Harvesting with a Meat Grinder????

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...-Tint/20699681

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid...tlyViewedItems

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merch...ate#!HH-606/0/

I got a this Sterilite storage container at Walmart, first link above.

I got 2 dish drainers like the second link above at walmart.

I cut up the dish drainers so that one fits on bottom of the tote. I made it so that the dish slots, when bent, hold frames upside down between the dish slots. I cut up the second drainer to fit on top, keeping the frames straight up and down as they sit upside down.

I got a honey gate from Mannlake, the third link above. I mounted it at the bottom of a short side of the tote.

I put in 5 medium Langstroth frames, upside down, and placed it in the sun (make sure it's not too hot). This setup holds 6 frames, I only had 5 that were capped (I used a cappings scratcher to lift up the cappings on the frames).

I got a gallon plus a pint of honey from this setup. If I had extracted, I would only have gotten 1 pint more. I think this is great for a small number of frames to extract without having to mess up my 4 frame tangent extractor, and clean up is easy. I got my honey, the combs were not destroyed and were put back on the hives wet. This worked great for me and I'll be using it more when I only have a few frames to extract at a time.

I think this would work much better than a meat grinder!
    I can't picture this, so how about a picture with a frame sitting in. I know it's a lot of trouble, but it sure would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbin View Post
    I can't picture this, so how about a picture with a frame sitting in. I know it's a lot of trouble, but it sure would help.
    I got what he's saying.

The bin catches the honey. Placing the frames in upside down causes them to drain out because of the natural UP angle of the cells (which would be DOWN) The one dish drainer (bottom) holds the frames between the plate slots. The second drainer (on top) keeps the frames from falling over.

Uncap the frames, put them in upside down, wait in a warm place. The honey flows out on its own.

One of the true unique pleasures of beekeeping regardless of whether you are a hobbyist, commercial or sideliner is getting to extract your hard earned honey crop when and if it becomes available. Everyone should be allowed to enjoy that experience once or twice as part of this hobby or profession. For me there is nothing more frustrating than trying to work with honey trying to crush, strain, chop, grind or whatever. It would appear that having to mess with honey in that regard just once would drive many people away from keeping bees for good. It would also appear to me that many, many, individuals would gladly (justify) and shell out a few bucks to buy a 2 frame, 9 frame or 20 frame extractor to assist them with that endeavor. After asking my wife to help me extract honey using a 4 frame hand cranked extractor for two years the fascination of that labor for her at least wore off quite rapidly. "So John" she asked one afternoon, "don't they make a machine with a motor to help you do this stuff"......to which I replied "well yes" ..perfect she said…”go buy one !” so I did.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

I use a cement mixer!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Well this has turned into a very interesting conversation. I am planning on getting a warre hive so I want the wax and honey. That is why I was thinking a grinder to pulverize everything and make separation easier.

The press seems the way to go. It seems that you can make one. I could be real energy efficient (I use that term instead of lazy) and out an electric cylinder on it so I don't have to do any cranking myself.

I like all of the approaches that everyone has out on here. I will be checking them out over the next several months I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    I use a cement mixer!
    Does this work?

I cut up the dish drainers so that one fits on bottom of the tote. I made it so that the dish slots, when bent, hold frames upside down between the dish slots. I cut up the second drainer to fit on top, keeping the frames straight up and down as they sit upside down....
    Do you by any chance have any pictures of that?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkWolf View Post
    Oak.

The 4x4's are just the support frame to handle the pressure of the jack.
    We have had Threads about cleaning a stainless steel extractor and there are plenty of people who think that HOT water isn't good enough. How do you clean wood well enough?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Wood is naturally antibacterial - like honey.

Concerning my post of my extractor-less extracting...

I'm very sorry, but I don't have a way of doing pictures at the moment.

Hmm, not even a newbie yet cause still looking for swarms that will stay with me.

But I was thinking, what about one of those old clothes wringers that you used to squeeze water from your clothes after you scrubbed them on the old scrub board. Have seen those things used for some other neat uses that were just as far from the original purpose as this is.

Now let it rip. LOL

It is easy to smash the comb with a potato masher or similar. The next step is to warm the honey,gently and let the wax float. Skim and repeat for a few days. Be patient, its do-able.

I have put broken comb chunks in a salad spinner. Decap first. Seems stupid,but works great!

Quote Originally Posted by jadebees View Post
    I have put broken comb chunks in a salad spinner. Decap first. Seems stupid,but works great!
    Why stupid? My wife forbid me to use hers because it is fancy Swiss-made... also fruit press should work great!
    Серёжа, Sergey

Hey Ray,

How long does it take to extract using your method. Interesting idea by the way!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...-Tint/20699681

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid...tlyViewedItems

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merch...ate#!HH-606/0/

I got a this Sterilite storage container at Walmart, first link above.

I got 2 dish drainers like the second link above at walmart.

I cut up the dish drainers so that one fits on bottom of the tote. I made it so that the dish slots, when bent, hold frames upside down between the dish slots. I cut up the second drainer to fit on top, keeping the frames straight up and down as they sit upside down.

I got a honey gate from Mannlake, the third link above. I mounted it at the bottom of a short side of the tote.

I put in 5 medium Langstroth frames, upside down, and placed it in the sun (make sure it's not too hot). This setup holds 6 frames, I only had 5 that were capped (I used a cappings scratcher to lift up the cappings on the frames).

I got a gallon plus a pint of honey from this setup. If I had extracted, I would only have gotten 1 pint more. I think this is great for a small number of frames to extract without having to mess up my 4 frame tangent extractor, and clean up is easy. I got my honey, the combs were not destroyed and were put back on the hives wet. This worked great for me and I'll be using it more when I only have a few frames to extract at a time.

Oh I think a meat grinder would work fabulously, just put what it churns out into mesh bag to strain...I am going to try it! I have a grinder that will blow through a moose lickety split. Just use a course plate.

I took a plastic 20L basket, drilled holes of 3,5mm on the bottom, put honeycomb into the basket and crashed it by a knife (you can try to "mince" it by a drill).