Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Honey Harvesting with a Meat Grinder????

This may be the most stupid question there is on this forum, but I am new, and it was something that popped into my head. I was thinking about mechanical ways to extract the honey from the comb. I was thinking about rigging up a potatoe ricer and seeing if that would work. Then I thought, I have a meat grinder that could work. Has anyone thought about/tried something like this? I am trying to think energy efficiency for myself.

Default Re: Honey Harvesting with a Meat Grinder????

I don't think you'd gain much from the meat grinder. the idea is to either squish the honey out of the wax (crush and strain method) or fling the honey out of the comb (normal extractor method. With the meat grinder, you'd certainly smash up the wax, but it wouldn't be separated frm the honey at all, so you'd have a sticky mess, but be no closer to eatable honey.

I guess you could grind it up and let it sit on a screen for a bit to drip hney out, but i doubt it would be worth it.

Sounds like huge mess to me

I am curious if someone comes up with a good idea. I think for a bit to see if I come up with anything. Other ideas what about a seed or wine press?

I use a cement mixer!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Delta, I actually did some more digging and found some presses online. Nothing that looks great but doable. Anyone used one of these presses?

Apple/vine-juice press would work very nicely. There is a guy from Germany (Berhnard?) he published bunch of pictures on beesource (link?) how he is using this press - very neat setup.

If you are looking for more exotic ways (meat grinder, I have to admit - very exotic to me!) - what about regular electrical centrifugal juicer? I would imagine that honey should be heated to be liquid enough to pass the juicer. If you wanted to patent it - please, remember who gave you this idea!
    Серёжа, Sergey

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...-Tint/20699681

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid...tlyViewedItems

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merch...ate#!HH-606/0/

I got a this Sterilite storage container at Walmart, first link above.

I got 2 dish drainers like the second link above at walmart.

I cut up the dish drainers so that one fits on bottom of the tote. I made it so that the dish slots, when bent, hold frames upside down between the dish slots. I cut up the second drainer to fit on top, keeping the frames straight up and down as they sit upside down.

I got a honey gate from Mannlake, the third link above. I mounted it at the bottom of a short side of the tote.

I put in 5 medium Langstroth frames, upside down, and placed it in the sun (make sure it's not too hot). This setup holds 6 frames, I only had 5 that were capped (I used a cappings scratcher to lift up the cappings on the frames).

I got a gallon plus a pint of honey from this setup. If I had extracted, I would only have gotten 1 pint more. I think this is great for a small number of frames to extract without having to mess up my 4 frame tangent extractor, and clean up is easy. I got my honey, the combs were not destroyed and were put back on the hives wet. This worked great for me and I'll be using it more when I only have a few frames to extract at a time.

I think this would work much better than a meat grinder!

You know, you can buy a small extractor for around $200.00 and they work very well. Plus, you save your drawn comb. I sure hate to waste drawn comb.

I've got a Squeeze-O that's decades old which we use for applesauce and tomato juice that I'm dying to try out. Be interesting to see if it works out when [if] I harvest the TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    ...I got my honey, the combs were not destroyed and were put back on the hives wet. This worked great for me and I'll be using it more when I only have a few frames to extract at a time.... I think this would work much better than a meat grinder!
    Could you share the picture of the whole setup? Sounds very interesting. Thanks.
    Серёжа, Sergey

The reason I see for crush and strain is that when you are a hobbyist it doesn't make sense to spend $200 or more (sometimes much more) for an extractor for a couple of hives. If you're going to spend $200 or more for a press, you may as well buy an extractor...

http://bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I cut up the dish drainers so that one fits on bottom of the tote. I made it so that the dish slots, when bent, hold frames upside down between the dish slots. I cut up the second drainer to fit on top, keeping the frames straight up and down as they sit upside down.

I got a honey gate from Mannlake, the third link above. I mounted it at the bottom of a short side of the tote.

I put in 5 medium Langstroth frames, upside down, and placed it in the sun (make sure it's not too hot). This setup holds 6 frames, I only had 5 that were capped (I used a cappings scratcher to lift up the cappings on the frames).

I got a gallon plus a pint of honey from this setup. If I had extracted, I would only have gotten 1 pint more. I think this is great for a small number of frames to extract without having to mess up my 4 frame tangent extractor, and clean up is easy. I got my honey, the combs were not destroyed and were put back on the hives wet. This worked great for me and I'll be using it more when I only have a few frames to extract at a time.

I think this would work much better than a meat grinder!
    I can't picture this, so how about a picture with a frame sitting in. I know it's a lot of trouble, but it sure would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbin View Post
    I can't picture this, so how about a picture with a frame sitting in. I know it's a lot of trouble, but it sure would help.
    I got what he's saying.

The bin catches the honey. Placing the frames in upside down causes them to drain out because of the natural UP angle of the cells (which would be DOWN) The one dish drainer (bottom) holds the frames between the plate slots. The second drainer (on top) keeps the frames from falling over.

Uncap the frames, put them in upside down, wait in a warm place. The honey flows out on its own.

I cut up the dish drainers so that one fits on bottom of the tote. I made it so that the dish slots, when bent, hold frames upside down between the dish slots. I cut up the second drainer to fit on top, keeping the frames straight up and down as they sit upside down....
    Do you by any chance have any pictures of that?

Hey Ray,

How long does it take to extract using your method. Interesting idea by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky27 View Post
    This may be the most stupid question there is on this forum, but I am new, and it was something that popped into my head. I was thinking about mechanical ways to extract the honey from the comb. I was thinking about rigging up a potatoe ricer and seeing if that would work. Then I thought, I have a meat grinder that could work. Has anyone thought about/tried something like this? I am trying to think energy efficiency for myself.
    It's not a stupid question. It is sacreligious though. Extracting, by definition, is removing honey from the comb and leaving the comb intact. CWhat you are talking about is a type of crushing and straining. I think you should do it so you can learn whether it is a good idea or not.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Well this has turned into a very interesting conversation. I am planning on getting a warre hive so I want the wax and honey. That is why I was thinking a grinder to pulverize everything and make separation easier.

The press seems the way to go. It seems that you can make one. I could be real energy efficient (I use that term instead of lazy) and out an electric cylinder on it so I don't have to do any cranking myself.

I like all of the approaches that everyone has out on here. I will be checking them out over the next several months I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    I use a cement mixer!
    Does this work?

It is easy to smash the comb with a potato masher or similar. The next step is to warm the honey,gently and let the wax float. Skim and repeat for a few days. Be patient, its do-able.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast