Default Bees standing on the hive window

Another new bee-havior has happened for me.
    Several hundred of my bees have decided to stand on my hive window. The past two months I've happily been watching them crawling all over the combs and now I'm looking at a bunch of bellies every day. I found the behavior called washboarding but they aren't licking (when I've looked anyway)....more like loitering! It's both workers and a few drones. They walk around some but that's it. This has happened since the really hot day when so many were bearding but never happened before that.
    Does this indicate overcrowding ?
    I've been thinking they'd swarm on me any day but conditions haven't been good(dearth and wind). Not as many have been flying since the hot day either. I decided to feed them again since they'd been stressed and they are taking it but not fast. They are still building comb on spaces I've made so everything else seems normal. I guess I better inspect for queen cups soon as I haven't gone all the way forward in over a month. HB
    Last edited by HappyBeeing; 06-11-2013 at 12:50 AM.

Default Re: Bees standing on the hive window

>Does this indicate overcrowding ?

Well, it indicates a healthy population. It MIGHT be overcrowding, but I wouldn't consider that as evidence that it is.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

HB,

I've been seeing the same thing in my hives, primarily in Hive 2. That hive has a much larger population than Hive 1. As I noted last night, I've now seen a couple of queen cups in that hive, but they were doing it almost from the beginning. At first there just wasn't any comb for them to be on, of course. Now it may be that there isn't enough room on the existing comb, but they do have over two feet of empty bars to expand to and they are busy building additional comb on bars I put in between existing comb so I'm not worried about it being overcrowding in my own situation.

Cheers,
    Tom

The glass is cooler than the wood, happens all the the time as the temps go up outside.

Quote Originally Posted by gsbees View Post
    The glass is cooler than the wood, happens all the the time as the temps go up outside.
    Bees like cold feet?! So do our chickens - they'll happily stand in a puddle made from the cold water out of the garden hose. But the hens won't stand in a puddle that's warm, only cold!

Wow,Thank you so much Michael,Tango and gsbees
    Being new,whenever Anything at all changes, I go into overtime over-thinking "possibilities" or, more annoying, I go blank! Gotta love this forum for the vast array of experience!!!

You know, in thinking of this further I'd have to note that when I've had bees on the window in great numbers I noticed they were on the far wall as well. I think that they're simply on the walls of the hive in order to spread out more than they can when between the combs, kind of like how we don't like to be close together in a crowd of people when it's hot.

Cheers,
    Tom