Default New Swarm and Vacation

Well, I leave to go on a vacation next Monday, 6/17. Today, I got the call, someone had a swarm they didn't want. Well, I couldn't pass it up. I went for it. They were on a fire hydrant. I put them in a box and brought them home. I haven't really investigated yet to see if I have the queen or not, but I have a dilemma. If I have a queen and she starts doing her thing, I should be okay, but if I don't, I really don't have time to requeen before I leave. The only other hive I have is a young one that was also a swarm about two weeks ago. It has done really well and there is several frames of brood. I know if the new swarm I got today doesn't have a queen, I could take one of the frames of brood and place it in there. But that would weaken the other hive and I would have to hope that the really new hive raises a queen. Or I could combine. I've never done that and don't know the first thing about it. I'm rambling. Sorry.

Default Re: New Swarm and Vacation

I would think most likely it has a a queen I can't tell you what to do and not sure how long you will be gone but if you let them do their thing you can probably better assess the situation when you get back and if they bolt on you then it's not like you are out $135 for a package

Just give them a frame of open brood - that will keep them until you get back at least. If they are queenless they will try to make one, if they are queenright it will get them started.

I checked this morning and it looks like they are queenright. Right now they are in a swarm box so I will get them to a regular deep and start feeding. Thanks for the help!