Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Hogan trap out sequence

Bees got very aggressive after I removed the queen. Landowner asked me to exterminate so I reluctantly did this morning before sealing up the entrance to the tree. Next time, if aggression is a concern, I might try leaving the queen in the trap (with the one-way funnel in place of course) until all of the brood has emerged in the tree and entered the trap. Might have to super the trap, but I think that would work.

Full story here:
    http://www.luterra.com/blog/?p=615

I got the 12 page pdf file from Mr Hogan on his trap, but i noticed it didnt have any dimentions of the plans to build it, does it not really matter the sizes? Anyone happen to have the dementions of the size that works best for yall?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton

We built one out of a d Coates style medium nuc.

Older thread but I have a tree hive I looked at today. It is an extremely active hive in a hickory tree about 10' off the ground. I plan to build a trap but I have a couple of questions please.

Removing "starts"? I can simply remove frames of bees yes? I plan on putting in a frame of open brood and eggs and I'll replace with another when I take frames of bees away. Is this proper?
    This hive has to be eliminated so is there a way to get the bees to bring the honey from the tree out to the trap? I read something that made it seem like they would but I am not sure if I misunderstood. I plan on closing the tunnel only when I am ready to seal the hole to the hive which will kill the hive. There is only one entrance in this tree about a 3"X4" oval opening.
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks

I used the Hogan trap last year on a house and a tree. I got the tree queen, did not get the house queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    No real difference, but, normally houses are more difficult to seal all entrances. Probability of getting the queen is normally far less in a building due to the entrance(s) nor being near the brood nest. In buildings, bees may enter at a convenient point, then travel several feet, to build their colony between floor joists, or wall studs or rafters.

Bill, call me and we can discuss.

cchoganjr

The opening in this tree is large enough so I'm going to use my bee vac first to get what I can. There are so many bees coming and going that I'm concerned it may swarm before I can get a box put on the tunnel.
    Thanks

Saint-Denis de La Réunion (France Indian Ocean)

Hello beekeepers,

I'd like to build a board based on the Josephus1 Ultra Nuc box, but he seems to have disappeared from the net and the link on ebay do not show any picture.

Do Some of you have build a system like that?