Several weeks ago I has a huge swarm in a tree WAYYYYY up there about 20 feet. I just happen to have a 20' ladder so I got the bow saw, climbed up, and cut the limb off. Had a box positioned perfectly and most of the bees went in. Was celebrating my luck when I noticed that HEY YOU DUMMIES!!! You're supposed to be going into the box not flowing out like a river.
I looked up and I'll be darn they were clustering on an even higher branch. Rats! So I cussed a little then paced around thinking. Then it hit me. I had a fishing pole with ten pound test in the truck from going fishing the day before.
Got some weights (washers) and tied them on and started casting at that branch. It took me a few tries but finally I got the washers tangled up on that branch and started tugging. ten pound test was not strong enough so I had to think some more. Then I remembered the 75# test nylon string I'd bought for the trotline hooks. So I did the washer and fishing pole trick again but this time just let the washers go over the branch and then down to the ground. Tied the nylon string on and pulled that up and finally shook that branch like the dickens and got them bees flying all over.
Then they settled on a different tree much lower branch. I was not going to be defeated because in the swarm was one of my "breeder queens". I had to catch that bug. Got my swarm catching box and retrieved the swarm. It was ten pounds easily.
Of course one of my honey customers showed up during my fiasco and I had to politely ask him to come back later. Just another day in the bee yard. Bottom line I caught bees and their queen. Sometimes you gotta get creative on catching a swarm. Third time was a charm.