Default Did I jump the gun by adding second BB

Newbie here..so added second box a week ago to 19 day old package that had drawn out most of the 8 frames out of ten. things were starting to blossom well here in VT, so went and added it about 5 days ago. Checked today and they had just started to coat some of the frames in the 2nd BB and most of the bees were in the bottom. Using black foundation from MannLake different from original..should I be concerned? Did I add to early? I saw some new bees so maybe things will take off? Also how do you tell comb with larvae that is being used first time vs 2nd time?

Default Re: Did I jump the gun by adding second BB

No, it wasn't too soon.
    Some will say that you should also move some drawn frames up into the second box, and replace them with undrawn ones when adding bodies.

To me, that is a little early.

A 19 day old package has not produced any new worker bees yet, and lots have died. Your first worker brood will emerge in the next 7 to 12 days, and then you will get a boost in workers drawing wax. (19 day old package, 3-4 days for queen to exit cage, 2-3 days to start laying, 21 days for workers to emerge, so you won't have new bees for another week)

I go with WLC on moving a frame up. That will help to start them in the second chamber.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey Simanskas View Post
    Newbie here..so added second box a week ago to 19 day old package that had drawn out most of the 8 frames out of ten.
    I agree with too early. I've saw that advice fly around here a lot. 'Add when 7 or 8 out of 10 are drawn. I think it's best wait until 8 out of 10 are drawn and filled with something brood,pollen or syrup preferably brood. I wait until a box is near overflowing with bees before I add after having a bout with shb last year.

I thought'd I'd done the same thing, by adding a 2nd BB on top but alas - the girls have worked it all out and are happily going full steam now. I always (either old wifes tale or reading into others' experience) move frames up into the new BB to encourage them to start (whenever there're ready) in the new BB. If you do this, just remember to keep the brood together that you move up so that the bees can keep it warm and tend to it better. I usually give them a week or 2 after moving them up and if they are moving pretty well at drawing the new frames out - i start a slight 'shuffle' on the frames by staggering drawn between un-drawn frames. It's worked well so far for me and forces me to keep a better 'eye' on what/how they're doing.