Hybrid View

Default 18/9 hand crank extractor worth it?

Mann Lake has an 18/9 frame radial hand crank extractor for $699. Now, I know this is a big extractor to turn by hand, but it can be modified to add a motor if it is too cumbersome. My question is, has anyone out there tried a hand crank extractor either with 9 or 18 frames before and if so, is it feasible? Or, is it just too much extractor to turn?
    http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...s/page115.html

Default Re: 18/9 hand crank extractor worth it?

that's the extractor i use but i went ahead and got the motorized. i haven't tried to hand crank any extractor, but 18 medium frames of honey is a lot of weight to turn by hand. i typically let mine run at least an hour before the honey stops flowing out. i don't think you would regret getting the motor if the budget allows.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I would compare it to a car. Handcranking it will work fine until you get tired of handcranking. How far are you willing to walk and how far a trip gets you into your car?

I hand cranked my first harvest in a 2 frame tangential extractor; after locating the beekeeper and paying for the service....and then promptly purchased a motorized 6/9 Maxant for the future!

I have a BM 9 frame hand crank radial. It works great. The weight of 9 frames might take a little extra oomph to get going but the extra momentum keeps it spinning on it's own for quite a while. A good power option is a teenager.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

I used the 18/9 twice so far with 18 frames. It worked perfectly. Once you get it going the momentum keeps it easy to turn. Do need to keep it from walking but that is the same with any extractor. I will upgrade to the motor when I get more supers to extract. I made the right decision, especially with free shipping.