Not sure why my first bee hive is colapsing.
I got a new one and the bees are dissappearing.
I got them in April, and took photos and video during inspections.
Here is another look at one of the frames where the bees had abandoned it.
There is virtually no bees on this frame when before there were so many
that you could not see frame under.
This hive is new created from all new construction.
I did notice this dead and diseased hatchling
I am not sure why the hatchlings in the brood chamber did not hatch and
why there are dead ones?
Not sure why the emergency queen cells. I wonder if the original queen
was killed or got injured. Maybe there is no new eggs being laid and the
bees are in survival mode.
A look at a frame with an insect on it
Note the white uncapped larva. I wonder if that means the bees had
abandoned this frame?
A general look at 1 of the frames
I am not sure what interpretation I am to make.
My observations are telling me that no new bees are hatching in the brood
chamber. All those capped brood cells indicate something happened in the
hive about several weeks ago when they should have been emerginge from their pupa stage.
How do I determine if the frames in the brood chamber have dead larva/pupa in them?
I am going to take several steps based upon my observations.
1). Reduce the size of the hive. The interior chambers consist of 3
sections. The brood chamber, the 2nd chamber where none of the frames
have been developed, and the 3rd honey super that has no frames in it.
2). Eliminate top entrance between the screen top and the roof. My screen ceiling has a bee space that allows the bees to get in and out. I will elminiate that area so they will not have to deal with defending a the top of the hive.
3). Clean and inspect for other insects.
4). Rais the hive up from the ground. The bottom board is screwed into 2x4s. That gives it entrance a 3 1/2 inch clearance. I will rest the hive on 4x4's so that will help to prevent other insects from crawling inside.
5). I will spray the combs with sugar water to get the bees to start to attend to the other frames.
Any and all ideas welcome!