Default 100 degrees June8,dearth,wind,bearding,drone eviction and full hive!

Hi All!
    As the title shows when it rains it pours or what we have here is the opposite:hottest June 8 in our 4 years at this location (don't know if it's a record but it is for us!).It's darn windy too. It's been breezy or windy 10x more than other years ALL Spring. ugh. I have to water the garden twice as much!

My bees have done gangbusters since April 9 and I judge have more than doubled their numbers since my package...probably tripled. As a first year beek it's been Quite a show for me and mostly I've Totally loved every day of having them. I've had some "fun" ??? adventures like ONE guard mad at me for 2 weeks after an inspection which taught me to just freeze and let her buzz and dodge me and threaten to land in my hair or on my ear until Finally she'd give up....until I'd take 3 steps and then she'd do it again. I faced off with her every other day when I'd go out there to just watch awhile. I knew her life was short,she'd be gone soon, and I could wait it out, but learning not to run and be totally calm was a better lesson for me than avoidance. I sort of missed her when it stopped! HA! (guess I've gone nuts)

This last week I've gotten to see bearding in person and today about 3K bees were out (My total is probably 8K but I can't really tell except it's a really full hive now). Quite a show!

I also found dead drones piling up a couple of weeks after I stopped feeding last month,and had to look That up. I discovered the hive will evict or kill drones during dearth. Our acre of gardens has plenty of flowers and still some clover but the surrounding area has little nectar now and created dearth before I realized it. So far I'm letting them adjust themselves but am thinking I better feed again soon. Problem is that within days of me feeding they've refilled any space I've made,even with little or no honey in the combs. My next manipulation I guess I'll just pull empty combs to have on hand for "later" use. If the climate and landscape were more congenial I'm sure they would have swarmed by now.It's a full hive and only June.

Speaking of swarming; This is the time when a new beek wishes they'd started with TWO hives (OR a 4 foot hive not a Golden Mean...yeah, I read all those GM threads too late!!!!) Actually purely as an experiment ,I added a 5 bar nuc box like a caboose (yeah it's a Super, but I LIKE calling it a caboose and no one can stop me! ) but they aren't building in there yet(they just cleaned out the partial honey comb I put in as a lure.

Someone on this forum from Texas did the same thing with a nuc box and has a picture somewhere on here of his light blue painted TB+nuc. It's worked excellent for him and I was overjoyed when I found his posts even though my climate is Usually cooler here and I won't "work" mine like he does. If you read this I'm SO glad this idea worked so well for you and thank you for telling about your experience. I just can't find your post or name right now! But,hey,"great minds think alike" !!!

Well, I'm gonna close or someone will think I'm Tango the second (whose long posts I totally enjoy reading BTW) I don't really have any questions, I just wanted to share. I'm thinking about so many BEE things and enjoying working things out! PS-gads I hope nothing collapsed today! Not gonna look in the window until it cools off!

Default Re: 100 degrees June8,dearth,wind,bearding,drone eviction and full hive!

Wow, that's a lot going on, HB! We've had some pretty warm days, but not many. It's been a bit cooler a wetter this year than in recent years. I am not going to complain about it! Today was maybe 32 degrees cooler here than there.

Funny thing about that one guard bee... who'd have thought she'd harbor a grudge?

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the caboose! Please post a photo of your setup when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyBeeing View Post
    Well, I'm gonna close or someone will think I'm Tango the second (whose long posts I totally enjoy reading BTW)
    Thanks! I've enjoyed your posts as well. I suppose one of these days someone will tell me I've used up my quota of words, but until then I'll probably carry on. Everyone can consider themselves warned!

Cheers,
    Tom

Default Re: 100 degrees June8,dearth,wind,bearding,drone eviction and full hive!

I'm just up the road from you in the Eugene area--blackberries are blooming like crazy right now, are they blooming down your way yet? This is my first year too, what a blast!

I got out to look into the hive and it's the same....full as ever.No collapse. Only a few hundred bees still hanging out on the porch near dark. At least my big population knows their ventilating!

Hi There BigDawg!
    I lived in Portland and Sweet Home both for a few years( half my life ago) but always liked my visits to Eugene. Oh yeah! There probably Are enough blackberries within the bee radius to feed my kids for awhile...I forgot how early they are this year. It's always been a July and sometimes late July harvest but it'll be June this year! Ours are still half buds but the flowers have been starting for a week. The Illinois Valley has lots of moisture differences and the drier areas are a little later. I really ought to just drive up and down the nearest roads and look around at flow potentials. One beek from over 10 miles away told me I'd have to feed in July. All I've noticed this week are the blue butterfly bushes that are wild by the roadsides. I'm in a dry zone and there is more manzanita than blackberries, but they Are out there.

Hey Tango! I think lots of folks like to read beek experiences,no matter how wordy, because you just never know what new knowledge or insight to one's own situations might pop up!

We're in Rogue River, so close by. Our TBH just swarmed. They are up in a pine tree about 40ft up, well out of reach. We threw a nuc together, put some drops of lemongrass oil and a frame of dark brood comb and set it on the roof of the house, about 30ft or so below them. Hope that interests them!

Blackberries are just coming into bloom right here, though as you head up towards town, they are blooming. We just did full inspection and found several queen cells, one open, so that explains the swarm, with lots of bees left in the hive. I did call someone who says they'll get swarms, but he can't get up that high, so we thought why not try to get them back down.

First year here too.

Ah, the Rogue River. I love that area! Sure wish I could have retired there as planned... but I digress.

Dixieswife, you could always try "tanging" them down! Couldn't hurt!

Cheers,
    Tom

Hi dixieswife neighbor!
    Yeah,almost the same climate.My new thread says I lost 'em. Thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one.....sigh#3.....We have an open acre of gardens and an acre of pines,scrub oak,manzanita, firs and cedars surrounding in our RR5 area. Not many properties close are open enough for gardens but my bees have access to a few.Some blackberries blooming good but not as many as 10 miles from here by the rivers.Did you get your bees from SOL? I've heard great things about John's survivor bees but he only sells nucs so I got a package elsewhere. I sure looked for my swarm. I marked in my mind every burl and clump of lichens though---hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyBeeing View Post
    Hi dixieswife neighbor!
    Yeah,almost the same climate.My new thread says I lost 'em. Thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one.....sigh#3.....We have an open acre of gardens and an acre of pines,scrub oak,manzanita, firs and cedars surrounding in our RR5 area. Not many properties close are open enough for gardens but my bees have access to a few.Some blackberries blooming good but not as many as 10 miles from here by the rivers.Did you get your bees from SOL? I've heard great things about John's survivor bees but he only sells nucs so I got a package elsewhere. I sure looked for my swarm. I marked in my mind every burl and clump of lichens though---hahahaha.
    No, we bought a swarm from the American Bee Company guy in town. Probably four-five lbs of bees.

We have six capped queen cells and three open ones in the hive now. I'm not entirely sure what to do with them, if anything. Lots of capped brood.