Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hello

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  jlabaume 
#1 ·
Hi Guys. I am a new forum member and relatively new bee keeper. I'm currently seeking advise as whether or not I need to re-queen now if not sooner. I live in the Trans-Pecos Region of West Texas (Chihuahuan Desert) in a little town called Alpine. I'd be glad to hook up with anybody from my area.

Glad to be here.

jtl

#4 ·
I was tentative with the first query because I wasn't sure I was in the right place for the type of information I need. Here is the deal.

First, let me describe the situation.

I ordered two packages of bees from Bee Weaver that were delivered the week of May 5. They were both installed in their new home the morning of the day they arrived. They were both provided with 1:1 sugar water and a paddy of brood builder. I look at the hives every day and I have checked them once a week since they arrive.

First, I'll describe the good one and what I observed each time I checked it. Here is what I have written in my log. "24 May 13: Doing much better than its mate (#2). Syrup consumption was much greater—the feeder was empty. Good activity in the hive. All but 1 frame was filled out. (Actually, I seem to recall that this hive started out with some drawn out comb but #2 did not?). No sign of brood but not to be expected. 31May13: Three frames of brood. All frames filled out to some extent. Some syrup consumption. Looked healthy--still better than its mate (#2). 7Jun13 Excellent condition. All frames are drawn and 5 have brood. Medium syrup consumption. I installed another medium super. ”

Now, here are my log entries for the weaker hive: "24 May 13: Only 3 or 4 frames were filled out (no sign of brood but still too early-should begin to hatch about June 5-7). They had been consuming syrup but still had about half of a top feeder left. 31 May 13: Lots of syrup consumption. Very little brood. Looked weak—much weaker than its mate (#4). 7 Jun 13: 4 1/2 frames were untouched-not even begun to be drawn out. Four frames had "some" brood. Looks like the feeder may be leaking which would account for the high rate of consumption last week. My wife noticed the leak after I had closed the hive. It was about to come a thunderstorm so I didn't want to open the hive again. The next morning (8Jun13) I checked and the leak had stopped. I opened the hive and a good deal of the syrup was gone but they had enough (in both compartments) to last them until next week. I need to NOT fill the feeder so full because the leak seems to be at the top. This is only the second year this top feeder has been used. Apparently there was some sort of flaw in the manufacturing. "

Incidentally, I have noticed that the bees in the stronger hive do not look like the bees in the weaker hive. They seem to be lighter in color with a "redish" tint--like what I would imagine Italian bees look like from descriptions I have read.

But obviously my question(s) concern the weaker hive.

What do you recommend?
Should I re-queen the hive immediately, of not sooner or is it too late?
If so, should I purchase an Italian queen ?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

jtl

#5 ·
Note that I am a second year beekeeper, and there are likely plenty of differing opinions out there. :D

I don't see a reason that you need to requeen at this point. Now that you have dealt with the leaking feeder, wait to see if the #2 hive improves on its own. If it does not, you could add a frame of eggs/larva from hive #1.

#13 ·
The plot thickens.

Although I was about ready to give up, I finally got an answer from Bee Weaver (they must be grossly under-staffed).

The lady that answered said: "I think since you have darker bees and little brood in the weaker hive you have old bees and very few if not any young bees. Requeen is the answer and I can send a queen Monday at a discount" and attached a code for the discount.

OK, I read that to mean that they sent me a defective (too old to "cut the mustard") queen. So, I went to their web site, started the order, found that my "discount" was $20. But...with shipping I am still going to have to spend $57.46 to replace their defective queen.

I'm thinking seriously about taking my business elsewhere. Anybody have any suggestions or recommendations?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.