Default Puzzling activity

Over the last couple of days I've noticed my bees flying around the back top and sides of the hive as if they're looking for the entrance. Any idea what is going on with this?

TIA

Default Re: Puzzling activity

that's sort of what robbing bees do. is there any chance that hive is queenless?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

by the way, welcome to beesource dena!
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks for the welcome and the insight. It is possible. I have been putting off opening the hive and checking on them (for the first time). I know how to look for the queen so I will do that.

Could be robbers looking for a way in, but it can also be girls patching up cracks between boxes. I've got a few that look different than mine (more golden) sniffing around the cracks between full honey supers, and I've been watching for robbing activity as a result. So far nothing.

However, I also have my bees stuffing propolis in the crack, particularly the large one I'll need to fix when I extract. They do want those hives sealed, and are particularly offended by the odor of honey and bee bread leaking out the sides.

Watch the activity at the landing board -- if bees are flying straight in and flying away in a straight line from the entrance, most likely things are fine. If you have bees landing on the face of the hive and wandering around looking for the hole to go inside, bees fighting on the landing board, and bees taking off and dipping way down in front of the hive trying to get up air speed, you have robbers. Lots of crumbs of wax on the landing board is a clue as well (don't confuse it with bits of pollen or spots of bee feces though).

If you do think you have robbing going on, close up the hive overnight and see -- if you have a bunch of bees sitting on the porch waiting to get in, they are yours, if you have a pile trying to get OUT you are being robbed.

Peter

Hi Peter, Thanks for the info. Helpful and much appreciated. My queen is fine and in the hive and I am convinced that they were doing as you describe, seeling up the cracks. Thanks again.

Dena