Default capping/Honey separation

How do you separate honey and cappings. In the past I have kinda crushed and set for a while to drain. I am wanting to improve on this and I am looking for ideas. What do you suggest?

Default Re: capping/Honey separation

i have a cappings tank that works well enough for me. a double boiler style setup.

after its sat and drained for several days i let the girls clean up the cappings. I figure they will recycle it much better than i will. After a few days outside i melt down whats left, usually only a fraction of what i started with.

I do the same as schmism. The decapping tank at $100 is well worth the money. I bought mine last year spring and I'm quite sure it's paid for itself with the honey I get in the bottom tank after letting them drain for a few days.

This past week I processed 2 medium supers and after letting then drain, got 15 lbs of honey into bottom tank and there will be more.

Prior to buying the tank I tried a couple things that didn't work well at all. Lost alot of honey. I too put the cappings out for bees to clean, then solar wax melt. And my work area is so much easier to keep clean with the decapping tank.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Where did you get your decapping tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Burrito1 View Post
    Where did you get your decapping tank?
    http://www.dadant.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=471

comes with everything you need including a cover for the bin to let it sit for a few days without getting dust/trash in it

mann lake also has one for 115.00? shipped

are the tanks actually air tight?

If they are not air tight, wouldn't sitting for a few days allow moisture to be absorbed back into the honey?

I got mine from Dadant and the lid is a tight fit. Last spring and fall extractions, I kept the tank honey for myself because I was concerned about the possibility of moisture content. It didn't ferment. I strain it by the second day and then leave it again for the last few pounds to drain off.

The thing I like about the Mann Lake is that you can drain full frames if there's a time you don't want to use the extractor. I don't see a lid for that on in the description--I would not be comfortable leaving it without a good lid on it.

I'm happy with my Dadant tank. I got it when traveling back home through northern Florida.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF