Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this normal?

Default Re: Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by DrDwilliams View Post
    Yes, the canvas cloth is in between the top box and the box holding the feeder - otherwise the bees are hanging from the quilt box cover and thinking about hanging comb there. So if you put on a box to hold your feeder, there will be some hanging out - I cut mine pretty close though and it didn't seem to bother. Some people have mentioned putting wire mesh between the two boxes and setting the feeder atop that. I wondered if that defeated the purpose of slowing down the movement of air, so I found cutting a small rectangle on three sides and folding the cloth back to work fine - then I just folded it back down over the frames when removing the feeder and feed box.

DW
    So you just used a regular feeder with a section of the cloth pulled back for access? That sounds so easy. I worried the bees would bee angry when I opened up to refill so left window screening between, But I'm not sure they can get to the feeders threw it. (photo's on a new thread) Hmmmmm, may have to rethink this..

Default Re: Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by The haunted chicken View Post
    So you just used a regular feeder with a section of the cloth pulled back for access? That sounds so easy. I worried the bees would bee angry when I opened up to refill so left window screening between, But I'm not sure they can get to the feeders threw it. (photo's on a new thread) Hmmmmm, may have to rethink this..
    Yes, I used the feeder that I put the images up for - with two jars set into a closed 3/8" deep rectangular box. I have not experienced them angry at this top feeder. I suspect at this location in the hive, they are young house bees - not guards - and primarily interested in shuttling feed. I shake bees off the feeder lids (outside of the box), refill feeders, close everything back up and am done.

When I stopped feeding, I just folded the flap down, took off the top box and put the quilt box back down on the top cloth.

Warre talks about bees chewing on the top cloth. I made mine of muslin. They kept a couple of holes open in the edges of the little flap, but haven't done any damage to the bottom of the quilt box.

The thing I worried about with the two jar feeder was that they could sure empty it fast and I was afraid of them getting syrup bound as they worked at building new comb, etc. So once the flowers were out in force in the spring, I quit feeding.