Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Varroa Mite Vaporizer?

Has anyone heard of this thing? I saw it in an add in the American Bee Journal.

http://www.vmvaporizer.com/
    There is no INTELLIGENT life on any other planet, they're probably like us!!!!

Default Re: Varroa Mite Vaporizer?

Not commercial, treatment free - look horrifying to me:
    - person breath all these vapors
    - complicated setup - a generator, an air compressor, wires ...
    - I do not know how they control a dose? For Oxalic acid dose is extremely important. Overdose will kill bees, underdose could create a super-mite.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by BoTBees View Post
    Has anyone heard of this thing? I saw it in an add in the American Bee Journal.

http://www.vmvaporizer.com/
    i have not seen that yet. but i have been experimenting with a bug vaporizer you can buy at lowes or home depot. its a black flag bug vap. i have been mixing the oxalic acid with mineral oil and trying to vaporize that but it seems the oxalic does not want to dissolve very well in the mineral oil. i did try it with just water but does not vaporize as well. also there is the problem with it igniting and creating a quick blast of flame witch does burn a few bees if it happends when im sticking it right in the entrance. any one else have any thoughts on all this. i would sure like to get this to work. it seems fast. i have full protective gear. mast, gloves, goggles.

hmmmm ... well we love our bees. i couldnt see 'vaporizing' them ever.

Quote Originally Posted by tommysnare View Post
    i couldnt see 'vaporizing' them ever.
    Then you are missing out on a valuable mite fighting tool....
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Never heard of this one, most guys make one out of a tin can and a glow plug.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

I went to demo of this thing in Modesto Ca last year ,looked pretty good. Must have been 10-12 keepers there no one was coughing or wheezing going on. I know one guy that got one,says he likes it. I might watch this thing in operation again, there is no green in the Ca foothills this year,so this could be dangerous.

Overdose will kill bees, underdose could create a super-mite.
    Where did you read this? Not my experience.

Overdose will kill bees, underdose could create a super-mite.

I talked to the guy last night sounds like a good idea. I dont like all the vapor floating around like on the video. The price was a touch more than i figured at 2800$. Has any one used vaporized OA with brood in the hive? Will three shots a week apart do it or will it hurt the hive. If any one knows of some one who has one id like to talk to them.
    Nick

Nick,
    I use OAV in the fall after the supers are pulled, I was doing 1 treatment per week for 3 weeks with no ill effects to the bees or the brood but after a conversation with Cam Bishop (camero7) I swiched to 1 treatment per week for 4 weeks which works well for the bees. The vaporizer that I use is the JB 200 Heilyser which last year was running around $100.00 from Canada, and this unit works great.

My bees have been coming through the winter strong and healthy since I started using OA and I only do the 1 four week treatment in the fall.

If you wish to talk further feel free to PM me I would be glad to have a chat.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Nick, I've tried it and it worked pretty good. I did not notice any ill effects on the bees with three treatments a week apart. I have stopped doing it basically because it took so long. You would almost have to get one of the expensive ones that are quick for it to be practical. The one I was using was a home aid one with a glow plug and a small pan.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    There is a Dissertation on Oxalic acid use against mites, I do not remember the author. The defender claims that Oxalic acid needs to be dosed very carefully for best results. If you interested, I could try to find the original.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    There is a Dissertation on Oxalic acid use against mites, I do not remember the author. The defender claims that Oxalic acid needs to be dosed very carefully for best results. If you interested, I could try to find the original.
    I believe that you are confusing OA drench with vaporization. I've read every study I could find and nowhere did I see anything about overdosing with OA vapor and no where did I see anything about a super mite being created with either method.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    I believe that you are confusing OA drench with vaporization. I've read every study I could find and nowhere did I see anything about overdosing with OA vapor and no where did I see anything about a super mite being created with either method.
    Hi Cam
    If I remember properly, the Dissertation was studying many ways of OA application including dripping and vapors. In both cases it was shown that exact metered amount of OA is necessary. The defender also studied the efficiency between dripping and vapors. My understanding is that both methods are equally efficient, but defendant recommends dripping method. If you interested to read the whole thing, I could provide the link later, it is on another computer. I got that reference originally from some beesource thread.
    Серёжа, Sergey

I'd love to see the link, thanks.

I have long forgotten where I got my "recipe" I only remember that it was based on testing of different concentrations. Fill a pail about 1/3rd full of warm (not hot) water and use that to thoroughly mix in 24 ozs. of OA. Then mix 20 lbs. of sugar and enough warm water to make 5 + gallons of liquid (I use a taller pail that makes nearly 6 gallons). By my calculations that makes a solution (by weight) in the mid 3% range. A single fall application when broodless applied in a thin stream between the frames directly on the cluster on a cool day really seems to do the job. Fast, easy and safe. I prefer applying down onto the bottom bars of an inverted hive as the openings are wider and the cluster more visible. I have even gotten an occassional splash in the eye with no I'll effects. I have never seen adverse effects on strong hives nor have I yet to see signs of resistance. My only safety warnings are to handle the acid itself very carefully and not to use water hot enough to steam while mixing or you will immediately notice lung irritation.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Jim, thanks for the recipe. How much are you dribbling between frames? The same as Randy Oliver recommends, about 5ml? Are you doing the dribble while still in SD or are you waiting until you get to TX?

Wisnewbee
    Honey Luv Farm

We apply it in SD in the fall when they are brood-less though it could just as easily be done in Texas in November. Yeah the 5ml per seam would be pretty close as I figure it. We are averaging around 1 1/2 fl. ozs. per hive doing a mix of singles and doubles. It's just a quick end to end motion with a thin low pressure stream.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Thanks Jim. I should be able to follow your method here in Wisconsin. Similar climate. Are you using a low pressure sprayer or something like a drenching gun to apply the dribble?

Wisnewbee
    Honey Luv Farm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast