Thread: fishing line???

Default fishing line???

I am trying to go foundationless in my deeps and am wondering if there is any worth in feeding fishing line through the frame for comb support.
    You gotta risk it to get honey on your biscuit.

Default Re: fishing line???

I have been foundationless for a couple of years now, but not on all frames and not on deeps. I do not put in anything but a guide at the top. This year i took some old comb frames and cut out the old comb leaving about 1 row of cells at the top. They really took to these and drew straight down on a level hive of course.

Is the extra support from fishing line going to be necessary?
    You gotta risk it to get honey on your biscuit.

We spun some deeps last night with wired wax foundation. We used mono line wired parallell through the end bar holes. Had no blowouts, but would have had a few if we hadn't used the support.

Quote Originally Posted by lilejac View Post
    Is the extra support from fishing line going to be necessary?
    With mediums it's not necessary. I have deeps without fishing line, but prefer fishing line in them. My bees seem to festoon to the line when building comb and it may help keep it straight.

I just put on a super of medium foundationless frames in one hive, with wax-coated popsicle sticks in the top bar and fishing line across the frame, and they've started to draw. It is too early to say if there will be a benefit to comb structure and stability. I'll post here once the frames are fully drawn and compare the structure/stability results to wired foundation.

This is part of an experiment, likely repeating what others have done. I'll put foundationless without fishing line in the other hive when the time is right. I'd love to explore this fully, but I don't have enough hives to do a full set of controls (deep vs medium, wired/nonwired/foundationless with or without fishing line).
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

Handling a deep frame with new white comb on a hot day before it is anchored on bottom can cause the comb to fall out if you unthinkingly turn the comb over horizontally rather than turning it on edge as you would with a top bar comb.

I often ( not always) fish -line foundationless deep frames for this reason.

Once the comb gets seasoned a bit, it's redundant.
    I just extracted year old deep frame that had no support but frame,( no line or wires) last night with no blowout.

I'm new at the beekeeping game, but I have used fishing line on both mediums and deeps. I wrap the line around a nail and drive it in to hold the line tight, a strategy I learned from the "fat beeman" (FBM) video on youtube. FBM uses this to hold in his foundation, but I just do it for the comb support.

It really makes a huge difference, and I can flip combs over when inspecting just like the foundationed frames I have even if the bottom of the comb isn't secure to the frame. I was worried about the combs being fragile with foundationless, but with fishing line it is much easier to manage.

fat bee man uses fishing line but with foundation. he has videos on you tube. i used i think it was about 20lb fishing line in the x patern and it seems to work good it supports the comb really well and the bees just build right around it

The only caution is the bees seem to like to chew through the line. I had a few and they went right through 20lb test. I use crimped wire for my foundationless frames because of it.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

If I remember correctly from Dons videos, (fatbeeman) He uses fishing line so he can cut out queen cells easily without running into wires. Also probably because its cost effective.

I use tinned wire on my foundationless deep frames. The desert heat is brutal here and you literally have to use it.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

I used fishing line on a small number of foundationless frames and the bees cut the line on every one of them leaving me with unsupported combs that are only attached at the top. It has been over 2 years now and the combs are still flexable enough to break off the top bar, I wish I had used wire.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A