Default How many hives can be in one area?

I am surrounded by woods and only a few hundred acres of farm land that has soybeans on them. I was wondering how many hive can I have in my yard and still have enough area for the hives to forage.
    I do lease out some hives but I want as many at home that will have enough to forage.

Default Re: How many hives can be in one area?

Hard to say, but typically about 24 in your average rural area... only time will tell, then you will add or subtract. But that can take a few years. 24 is where I usually start.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

if you take a small avg forrage area of 2 miles. there are 8000 acers in 2 mile radius. 18,000 in a 3 mile radius.

even if you had 1 hive for 100 acers.... your still talking 80 hives every 4 miles......

in short... its ALOT. (unless you live in like the desert or some such)

I seem to see some drop in production after I get much over 20 to 30 hives in one place. But that depends on forage. I'm in the middle of farming (corn, soybeans and alfalfa). Some places eight seems to be enough. In the old days with thousands of acres of sweet clover, they used to put hundreds of hives in one place.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Hard to say, but typically about 24 in your average rural area... only time will tell, then you will add or subtract. But that can take a few years. 24 is where I usually start.
    24 -32 is what I would say. Most of my yards are 8 Pallets plus some nuc's. My Big yard is 150 or so surrounded by BB. Not a good idea but, it is way more convenient to work them. I will probably break them up when I get my clutch changed on my truck so I can move them.

Most of my bee yards are between 20 and 30 hives. It often takes several years of using the same location to know what the best number of hives to put there. It can also vary year to year depending on the weather. On a dry year some of my out yards only have 12 hives vs a wet year when I will place 30 hives there.

I concur with both the 24-32 current numbers, and the 100 per yard that my Great grandfather had in the 10's and 20's.

Crazy Roland