Thread: Aggressive bees

Default Aggressive bees

I cought a swarm in a filled body I had just setting around and went to get into hive for first time yesterday and found out they are extremely aggressive. Is there any remedy to calming them down?

Default Re: Aggressive bees

Quote Originally Posted by WardFarm55 View Post
    I cought a swarm in a filled body I had just setting around and went to get into hive for first time yesterday and found out they are extremely aggressive. Is there any remedy to calming them down?
    It depends on how long it has been since they swarmed. If recently ( like a few days ) I would leave them for a week or two and then lightly smoke them at a time of day when they are busy. What you should be looking for is evidence of a laying queen, if so and they are still very aggressive you may want to replace her. If you don't have a queen then get one as soon as you can before they develop laying workers.
    A swarm from feral stock is sometimes very defensive, but can be much more mite and shb resistant.

Default Re: Aggressive bees

Quote Originally Posted by WardFarm55 View Post
    They can also get extremely aggressive if queenless. The queen could have been damaged.