Default Stinging Question

My wife was watering her cherry tree a few feet from one of my hives yesterday. A bee landed on her arm and she said it was vibrating its tail. She said that she thought it was planning on stinging her, so she brushed it off. It came back, she brushed it off, and then the third time did sting her. this happened within 3 seconds. the question is... before she brushed the bee off, did the vibrating rear end really mean the bee intended to sting her? Of course, she knows that brushing and swatting is just asking for it. Do they telegraph intent to sting by vibrating? Also (she is reading over my shoulder) can they sense if she is in a bad mood and react to that?

Default Re: Stinging Question

Typically when a bee lands on me it's either weary and needs a bit of rest to get to the hive or is looking for salt -- every summer I get one or two who won't leave me alone until they get a full belly of sweat off my arm. Usually they fly in front of me and zig-zag back and forth until I relent and let them land.

Ones that want to sting always bash off my face a couple times and then head for my ears, without fail. Never been stung by a bee that I didn't squish or was headbanging first, but that's just my experience.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by tristan36 View Post
    ... did the vibrating rear end really mean the bee intended to sting her?

Perhaps the bee was simply "breathing" hard. More here:
    Q: Do bees breathe oxygen like humans and other animals?

A: Yes, bees do breathe oxygen and expel carbon dioxide; however, they do not have lungs for respiration. "Rather they have a system of tubes which carry oxygen to and carbon dioxide away from cells. This system of breathing tubes, or tracheae, is connected to the outside world by a series of holes ... called spiracles. When the bee is inactive gas exchange can operate simply by diffusion, but during periods of increased activity bees pump their abdomens to increase gas exchange, using expanded sacs of the trachea as bellows." (
    Biology of the honey bee, by Mark L. Winston. Cambridge, MA, Harvard University Press, 1987, p. 34.)

http://osu.libanswers.com/a.php?qid=212370

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 06-04-2013 at 05:22 AM. Reason: fix formatting
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Another thing to consider is that woman like perfume. soaps, lotions, washes and out right perfume. so they often smell flowery to bees the girl may simply been investigating her for foraging. it took me years to get my wife not to use her sweet smelling soap and such when working with bees or hunting. Her success has increased in both areas.

Brushing them off doesn't make them happy... I agree it was probably just resting while breathing hard. Originally, anyway...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF