Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: best nuc boxes for the price

Quote Originally Posted by rsjohnson2u View Post
    Cleo, how to you make YOUR box joints? There seem to be many ways, table saw, router, etc. Do you have a favorite jig?
    I use an El Cheap O Sears Craftsman saw that I bought off Craigslist ($125.00) several years ago, and I make about 250 boxes, bottom boards, etc., each year. I use an Oshlun 8 inch stacked dado blade. I leave the dado set up on this saw. I have only had it off once in the past 10 years, and that was to sharpen the blades. I made a sled, using instructions I got from some book several years ago. Now days there are several good instructional videos and data on box joints on the internet.

I am attaching a photo of the sled that I use. It runs in the miter groove of the saw table.

Box Joint sled.jpg

cchoganjr

I have extra pieces of hardiplank from my house, has anybody ever used that for making boxes?
    Potato Guns shouldn't be illegal in Texas!

Thanks for the Mann Lake link

Just ordered 5 of their Mill Run boxes; I can make simple bottoms and covers cheaper than buying them

And some frames, and an inner cover to get above $ 100 for free shipping

I think that the handholds in the sides of the mann lake boxes are probably there for the convenience of Mann Lake just having one style of "side" in stock. That way they can use them for regular 10 frame, 8 frame, and 5 frame boxes.

Mr Quiney... This thread has really surprised me. Yesterday I was working a bunch of nucs, moving some, putting some in 10 frame equipment, and I noticed that I always picked the nucs up by the hand holds on the sides, never on the ends. Had never thought about it before this thread.

Guess it is just what a person likes, since several on here say they never pick them up by the side hand holds.

I make all of my own boxes and you are right, the sides are the same, regardless of the size of the box.

cchoganjr