Hybrid View

Default best nuc boxes for the price

I made a few nuc boxes out of plywood this year, which is definitely cheaper than what you can buy, but it was a little more time and trouble than just getting a pre-cut box and nailing it together, and I'm not sure what I made will hold up as well. I'm just looking for opinions and information from other beekeepers; who do you think sells the best nuc boxes, including a bottom board and top, for the price?

Default Re: best nuc boxes for the price

we went with these, then made our own tops and bottoms. the fit is excelent, they make them wide enough that you can put a queen cage between the frames without removing a frame, and you get handholds. couldn't buy the wood to make the box for the price of the nuc.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merch...box#!WW-410/1/
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

I use the same nuc boxes and the price is great.. I'm making my tops and bottoms out of Advanatech. Working well. I bought 50 of the BetterBee nucs and don't like them except for wintering. They are not holding up nearly as well as wood.

I don't know about "best for the price", but Brushy Mountain has a good selection of woodenware sized for nucs, including screened bottom boards, deep and medium boxes, a few different inner covers and tops, robber screens, an interesting looking "nuc wintering baord," etc.
    Last edited by shinbone; 06-03-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

One caution on buying nuc boxes. There doesn't seem to be a standard size, even in 5 frame nuc equipment, as there is with other standardized boxes. A Mann Lake 5 frame nuc doesn't fit perfectly on a Brushy Mountain screened bottom board. Someone's telecover may be too tight for someone else's box, etc. The Mann Lake boxes seem slightly larger than others (in width, as pointed out above), but are of nice quality, as is most of the stuff from the big suppliers. They just aren't quite as interchangeable as "regular" equipment.

The Mann Lake 5 frame nuc boxes are indeed a little larger than other manufacturer's (such as Western Bee) so that the tops are not interchangeable. I bought 30 of the Mann Lake boxes and simply made my own bottom boards and telescoping tops. Nuc boxes are well worth the investment. As stated, the extra room inside the Mann Lake nucs work well.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti