Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Incredible flow in SE Tennessee right now.

Gambit are you in northern Fla? I'm SW, and we are in a dearth right now. I put out cappings and it was a frenzy! I thought we would be in cabbage palm bloom, don't know what's going on. Only my strong hives gave me a super of surplus honey this spring. I like to extract and then they can store up cabbage palm to carry them til fall, but where is it? I did leave honey behind, thankfully.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Matt here in SE TN. Great flow here like everyone else in this area. Could not help myself and pulled a frame of comb honey just for a sample. It is some of the best honey I have ever tasted. It is kind of a light to medium yellow color. It is lighter than clover honey and has a better flavor. No idea what the bees have gotten into, maybe something different bloomed because of all the rain??? Anyone else around here notice this? Let me know when you all start pulling supers.

I took a sample week or so ago mine was a good strong blackberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt903 View Post
    No idea what the bees have gotten into, maybe something different bloomed because of all the rain??? Anyone else around here notice this?
    I found some of mine working some vetch a week or 10 days ago, its gone now. It makes very clear honey. I cut off a little comb as well and the honey was much lighter than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by bevy's honeybees View Post
    Gambit are you in northern Fla? I'm SW, and we are in a dearth right now. I put out cappings and it was a frenzy! I thought we would be in cabbage palm bloom, don't know what's going on. Only my strong hives gave me a super of surplus honey this spring. I like to extract and then they can store up cabbage palm to carry them til fall, but where is it? I did leave honey behind, thankfully.
    Bevy, I am in Central FL, 30 minutes from Disney. I was able to pull 2 supers off of about 10 hives with another 2 supers coming off in a week or so. Still new to beekeeping so I cant tell you what it is they are pulling. Honey was more on the darker side, great flavor. Earlier this year we pulled 2 supers off that tasted like raisins, anyone have any idea what might produce that flavor?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt903 View Post
    Anyone else around here notice this? Let me know when you all start pulling supers.
    I extracted 120 pounds last night. Each super came out of the extractor in varying shades which was neat. Over all ,when blended all together, its darker than last years with a much milder flavor. I was impressed. More to pull tonight.

I did my first harvest ever on Saturday and pulled close to 6 gallons total out two medium supers of my big booming Lang. Beautiful gold color. It has a heavy floral aroma and is some of the sweetest I've ever tasted. Some of it was heavily grape-scented - I'm guessing this was the privet, maybe? Our two main flows around here were that and the henbit earlier this spring. Some of the row-crop fields around me were acres and acres of purple (henbit and dead nettle) back in March.

I posted some pictures on my blog here: http://beesandbirdsandthings.wordpress.com/

Pulled right at 6 gallons (65-70 lbs?) out of 20 frames (2 medium supers) last weekend. Fantastic grape-y smell to it (the privet?). Beautiful golden color to boot. This was my first harvest and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

(edit: sorry for the double post...the first one wasn't showing up at all)
    Last edited by jquinby; 06-21-2013 at 06:35 AM.

might be blackberry mine has that type of smell...we also get a good privet flow its real light, lighter than clover but real good too.

The girls are still working clover which is a surprise. In a normal year they would have shutdown with the end of the sumac. There may be a little bit of it still around. I normally pull my harvest over the fourth of July weekend.

Our flow is officially over. For the past couple of weeks, white clover has been pretty decent, but now even it has fizzled out. Maybe the goldenrod will make a strong showing with an early bloom like everything else did this year.

There is a lot of aralia - devils walking stick - around me which i think is about to bloom. Some years they are all over it. Maybe with all this rain it will be worth something. Anyway, I got into some hives today while I was pulling honey and they all have fresh thin nectar from something. Unfortunately the hive beetles are pretty populous now too. So far not a problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim B View Post
    What is the status of the sourwood up in forsyth county? Were there any late freezes? Are the shoots starting to form yet?
    I think pretty much all of the "low country Sourwood is finished. I am 2 counties away from Forsyth, and all is finished here.
    Well I am not sure if there is a Forsyth County TN...But it is right beside me in NC
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12