Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Incredible flow in SE Tennessee right now.

I've got a couple of boomer hives that have filled 5 shallows already a piece and I just placed a sixth on today. Privets about gone, clover is still in, but what else in this area could be adding to it? This is a super strong flow. The last supers that were added were filled in less than a week with white burr wax everywhere on top of the frames. I'm not complaining, just dreading using a step ladder to pull honey soon.

Default Re: Incredible flow in SE Tennessee right now.

blackberry, and locust could've contributed, poplar is bloomed out now

I haven't even looked at my honey supers in a few days - It looks to me like it should be winding down and I was just hoping they would top everything off that they have already started, but I hope we're in the same boat.

A lot of the privet is fading, but it's had the whole area smelling like honey for 2 weeks - maybe that's it.

privet fading here too, sumac getting close to blooming, pretty good rain last night, foraging picked up a bit today, another swarm issued yesterday, not sure how long the flow will last, thinking about extracting soon.......
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Chattanooga checking in.

Agreed, privet is fading, but I've got a lot of honeysuckle blooming, and plenty of white and yellow wildflowers wherever there's enough open field for the sun to hit it. Clover is still doing well too (mowed the grass a few days ago, already got lots of new clover). The blackberries finished blooming weeks ago though, so thats probably not it. Noticed the Queen Ann's Lace blooming on my jog today.

If I really had to nail it down to one thing, I'd say its the honeysuckle. I didn't have any here last week, and now its blooming all over the place.

Another NE AL beek here. All the privet in mostly sun has been done here for a week. Some of the younger and more shaded privet is still blooming, but that's a much smaller percentage of the total amount of privet. The rain we got yesterday really perked the dutch white clover back up. Like squarepeg, I noticed the sumac budding out. We just don't have much of it around here.

Still, I have yet to see a single honeybee in the vast array of flower beds my mother has. Purple coneflower, chives, lavender, and several other bee plants blooming. The hives are about 100 yards from the flower beds so they should be taking advantage of them. I guess they'll hit them when the major nectar sources dry up.

What about common plantain? Do bees use it? It's got seed heads on it right now.

Mine use the plantain quite a bit. All I see is pollen foraging but maybe they get slight bits of nectar as well.

Murfreesboro checking in...privet situation is the same as Brad Bee describes above - most of it is done, though there are spots here in there in the shade. White clover is starting to come up everywhere and I see them working it in the front yard.

During the privet peak, my big hive drew, filled and mostly capped a 10-frame foundationless medium super in about 10 days. I added another super a day or two ago and am sort of bracing for the clover.
    Last edited by jquinby; 06-03-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Typo

I'm in Newton, NC and like others have mentioned the privet is mostly done here. In the past 7-10 days I've saw so much new white wax drawn and water clear nectar stored in my 18 honey production hives that I'd really like to know what the bees are working. I have to agree with the original poster - INCREDIBLE flow recently! I've got lots of white dutch clover around but my bees are totallly ignoring that. Any other ideas on where all the water clear nectar is coming from?

Wow you guys sound like you are having a heck of a flow this year. Anyone interested in allowing me to bring a few hives(12-18) to catch any of this? I am heading to N.C. in a couple of weeks but here in FL at least in my area I am having a tough time catching much honey. PM me email if you have extra land that you could share, our bees are clean as well as ourselves :-). Gambit@cfl.rr.com

Privit is about done in my part of north GA, I'll be checking hives pulling capped honey getting ready for sour wood flow in a few weeks, blackberry was a good one this year too.

I noticed today that some kind of purple thistle is coming on strong. I wonder if thats a decent source to be tapped in to?

What is the status of the sourwood up in forsyth county? Were there any late freezes? Are the shoots starting to form yet?

I see several people have replied to me via email but my retarded email is full and I cannot delete it until tomorrow. I have an alternate email if those of you that replied could re-email me I would really appreciate it. In the meantime I will get this email thingy fixed. Alternate email is danny@ivydesignsinc.com thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tim B View Post
    What is the status of the sourwood up in forsyth county? Were there any late freezes? Are the shoots starting to form yet?
    I've gotta find somewhere to put about 10 hives this year on some sourwood.

Quote Originally Posted by VolunteerK9 View Post
    I noticed today that some kind of purple thistle is coming on strong. I wonder if thats a decent source to be tapped in to?
    http://honeybeenet.gsfc.nasa.gov/Honeybees/Forage.htm
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

K9, we have had a great flow just south of you as well. Most hives 3-4 supers. Pulled last week between showers. Most yards did well, especially those near rivers. Lots of locust, privit, honey suckle, and yes thistle is great. The rain has been good and bad. Good for the nectar, sucks for the hay cutting.

Kind regards,
    Stonefly7

Quote Originally Posted by luke0927 View Post
    Privit is about done in my part of north GA, I'll be checking hives pulling capped honey getting ready for sour wood flow in a few weeks, blackberry was a good one this year too.
    sorry haven't been on...there are some sourwood here in Forsyth but not enough for a strong flow, we have some land in Union Co (not far from Bairsville) I will be moving them up there. Going to go Sunday and see how its looking talked to a guy not to far ago about a week ago and he hadn't seen any bud swell....I figure about last week in June into first of July should about time to get them on it.

My yard sounds electric today. The bees are all over the clover. I am going to wait until later in the week to mow. All this rain sure is helping the clover and grass. If it'll keep raining, maybe things will keep growing.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by VolunteerK9 View Post
    Probably star thistle we get it in pasture around here very mean weed but Bee's seem to work it I've seen the honey in stores but never tried and pure...bee's are working clover right now at my place not sure if they even touched the thistle....also Its my grandparents place if it was mine I'd tell you bring them down put them on here I think it will be a good year if the rain will let up and not knock the blooms off.