Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Should I ditch the plastic foundation?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  D A V E 
#1 · (Edited)
Metal

Hello,

Looking for a little advice on what to do with this foundation. I just added a deep hive body full of Pierco foundation and as you can see from the pictures, the bees are not drawing it. I did spray it with sugar water before adding it to the hive. It does look like they were pulling it correctly down at the bottom.

I have another hive set up the same way and they have just begun to pull at the very bottom and it is being pulled correctly.

See less See more
#5 ·
that happens with all types of frames from time to time even foundationless. scrape it off and give them another shot. I do not have pierce frames. but the ones I use come already waxed. if your are not do as Dave said. and paint some wax on them. However since they have already begun to draw on them I think they will be fine.

#7 ·
This is are first year and we were told the day before you put the plastic frames in to melt some wax and paint it on with a brush do this even tho they already have wax on them. It made a world of difference between the ones we did and the one that we ran short on. But we only have five hives to do also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.