Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bees gathering outside of hive

So to update, I just did an inspection. I found brood, nectar/sugar water, pollen, and capped brood. I could not find the queen, or eggs, but the brood is encouraging. And I did look for the queen, its just a lot harder to find one queen in a hive of bees, then it is to find capped brood.They have drawn 3 and a half frames, and I added more 1:1 syrup. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Good to hear Bill. Regarding the brood that was capped, was the cap sort of smooth or did it protrude up like the end of a bullet? or was there both? we can begin to understand the condition of the colony/queen by the capped brood. Any pictures?

I dont have any pictures, but most of the capped brood was flat. I may have seen some drone brood, but most of it seemed to be worker brood.

All seems well in your hive. The flat capped brood would be worker brood and evidence IMO of a queen-right colony.
    When that brood starts to emerge the population of the colony will start to balance out with bees present in every age group- a healthy condition that is necessary for it's well being going forward.
    Might want to continue feeding as the forager bee population will continue to drop for a little while longer.
    You'll begin to see more bees coming and going as the population increases quickly. We still have a flow going on so they should fair well for the time being.
    Later in the summer we have a dearth and you'll have to watch them more closely for food stores .
    Great news, enjoy.

Bill, I'll bet they are bearding on the outside today( 90F+ & high humidity), and will be for the next few days.
    Even with no entrance reducers, the tops vented a bit & a top entrance, the outside of the hive boxes behind my shop were covered with bees for most of the day. Fanning like mad to draw the air out near the entrance.
    Finally they got some shade from a couple of locust trees and the bearding began to break up.
    Looked like some of the pictures the guys post from down south.

Hi Clyderoad, sorry it took so long to get back I have not checked this thread nearly as much as I should. They actually have not exhibited the behavior since the first time they did it. I am still not 100% sure it was bearding. It seemed like they were gathering on the top of the front face, rather then near the entrance. To be honest I think they were just confused, trying anything to cool the hive down, and maybe they sensed a draft by the top, but I will never know for sure. Thanks again Clyde for all your help, I just added a second super today and everything is looking good.

Bill when you say second super, are you speaking of a second brood box or honey super? If you are adding honey supers already, I am definitly doing something wrong.

Hi biggraham, you are correct I meant to say second deep. I actually don't plan on adding any honey supers this year. The goal is simple; make the winter with a hive of bees in the spring. By the way where you're from in Virginia do you even have to add a second deep or is it warm enough that the bees will winter in a single deep?