Default Greetings from the high desert of California

Hello my name is Bill, I have become increasingly concerned with ever increasing power of Greedy Corporations over our food supply. Our Government at all levels is bought and paid for and complacent in this take over. That being said, I am a firm believer that one must be the change they want to see in the world. Last season I started a garden on my little two acres of dirt, the soil is poor so I didn't have much luck, but i did get pumpkins to grow. This year I made a more serious attempt I built raised beds and bought soil amendments, my results are much better so far but still having some problems. I have noticed we are very short on pollinators i have only seen two bees this season, so for next season I plan on starting two TBH's on my property. I am much looking forward to fresh organic food to feed my friends and family, contributing In my small way to rebuilding the bee population Is just an added bonus. I hope i can find some other Idealistic old hippies looking to change the world.

Default Re: Greetings from the high desert of California

Welcome to the site Bill!

Welcome Bill!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome, from the SF bay area.
    Dan

Hey Bill, You not alone in the high desert i.e. Antelope Valley.
    I've seen a few bees too and am looking to start a couple of hives myself, next year. Hopefully we can bolster their numbers in our neck of the woods (or lack thereof lol).
    I'm hoping that bees are viable to rise in the desert, haven't had any yet. Still in the reading phase/study phase before I kill bees.

I wonder If anyone has had any luck out here?

Hi Bill. Welcome to the forum. I have been keeping bees here in Littlerock for a few years. We don't get a lot of surplus honey but you could end up with plenty of pollinators! If you want to improve your soil, get some chickens, kitchen and yard waste and start a compost pile. Worked for me
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”